Do you think you are normal?

by jwfacts 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I always felt unique from everyone else. Being a JW I never quite felt like I was from the same planet as all the other school children. As a JW I fit in, but still not quite, as I was a bit too indepentdant a thinker. Now I am not quite in either world.

It not a huge problem as I have no trouble making friends but I have always wondered if I am wierd because of being raised a JW or just got an strange set of genes.

Does everyone else feel unique? If so is that normal, or is it the 'new personality' that the WTS forces on you that turns you into someone you were never meant to be?

• Frog
    Frog

I was having this very same line of conversation with diamondsblue just the other day! Although perhaps not so much related to the influence being a dub had on us. It's funny how you go through life for the better part thinking I'm the "normal" one. The person who does well enough at adapting for the situation and person, and the like...but I don't possibly how those of us rasied a dub could be without their quirks and eccentricities, I know for a fact I have my share fair!

I think being raised a dub and going through the motions and being spat out the other end all chewed up gives us a bit of a uniquire edge to our personalities! I think going through the process can have its constructive side, if you don't let it fill you with bitterness and synacism...but you could be forgiven for that given the circumstances...Firstly, it makes a person really resiliant, if you're a young dub raised in the org who leaves in their teens or early 20s, then there's unlikely to be any other situation in life where you're that inexperienced and have to cope with that much pain and loss again...so it also gives you a bit of a no fear edge too.

Personally I enjoy my quirks, don't know if others value them as much as I do though! lol.

I think we should call ourselves the 'Quirky Apostate People' or QAP!...& this will be our mascot ->

Froggy of the proud to be QAP class! x

• barry
    barry

Gday JW facts,

I think i know what youre saying when I went to school I was a Seventh Day Adventist I mean its such a long name and every year the school teacher would take down details including religion why couldnt it be just a small name like catholic. I would often have to repeat Seventh Day Adventist because the teacher would often say "whats that".I would often be sitting at the back of the classroom the other SDA in my class would allways be smarter and be sitting at the front. Dumb Me.

We actually thought the JW kids were very cool while we had scripture classes one period per week the JW kids were out in the playground.

Because we were SDAs and there wasnt a resident minister in the town I lived there was no scripture for SDAs so we had to go to scripture classes of other denominations . I went to the Anglican Prespetarian or Baptist with my friends. I can remember one other Adventist girl wasnt happy with the Anglican minister and she got stuck into him because he often used the word flamin not in relation to hell but that upset her and so she went to the Baptist classes where the minister there promoted evolution and so she was upset about that. Her dad I beleive was a Shepherds Rod SDA at one time and the fanatisism hadnt conpletly worn off. Barry

• Ellie
    Ellie

Well I'm certainly not odd, I fit in pretty well with most social groups and seem to get along with most people but I am unique, just as we all are.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

Define "normal." :)

• luna2
    luna2

I didn't grow up a JW but I still felt that I wasn't "normal". I felt backwards, was extremely shy and never quite seemed to fit in anywhere. I was most comfortable (and still am to some extent) when people appeared to need me for something. Like I had to fulfill a purpose to be wanted and welcomed. I had and have a horror of being rejected. Stupid really. I got into a bad marriage and then joined a cult because of my hang ups. So, no, I don't feel particularly normal.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Whether we are 'normal' is very subjective in terms that we do have our (to use frogs phrase) our own quirks.

I agree with Wolfgirl in that I am not sure what normal is; if its being able to interact with people at various levels without many problems then yeah...I might be normal.

DB74

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Good question wolfgirl, what is normal? I guess my question relates to whether being raised a Dub has made integration into the general community difficult and gives us a feeling of isolation. How long before this wears off?

• jojochan
    jojochan

No. But in the times that we are living in...what IS normal?And since I was in the borg I've always felt out of place. That something was wrong. Now, I still feel like that. Crazy huh? jojochan.

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

I sure hope not, for if I am the world is in bad shape.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit