Totally depressed and don't know what to do......

by WingCommander 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Hi All:

I don't know how some of you are around this time of year, but I'm just really depressed lately, more so this time of year it seems. Why? Because it is nearing the Memorial time and now that I have a son, I am totally lost as to what to do and what to teach him concerning religion. How can I? My own youth was stolen by the WTBS and has made me a total wreck at times. I refuse to do the same to him. I'm not saying I don't agree with alot of the teachings, but I'll be damned if I'm going to make him sit through 2 hours of mind-numbing meetings several times a week, drag him to field service, make him miss sports or activities, and then drag him to District Conventions during the summer in the heat just for him to hear how he's "not good enough," and how he shouldn't plan on having a future or an education. (or any kind of normal social interaction)

Mainly though, I'm completely astounded at the lack of attention or scriptual support my family got when my father became terminally ill and then died several years ago. My mother was told that her 80 year old mother-in law (my grandmother) should be cooking meals!!! My mother, father, and grandmother slaved away for 20 years in the WTBS, and the ONE time we needed a support system all my mother was asked by an elder was, "are you regular in the field ministry?" She was floored, as was I. No one came to visit my JW father, no one brought meals, no one called, no one sent cards, no one sent flowers to the funeral either. Astounding. Even in times of crisis and despair, the only drivel they could come up with was the pre-programed crap about field service. When my non-JW grandfather died in 1989, the only thing a JW asked my grieving mother was, "Was he in the Truth?" LIke him not being in the truth made her love him less!!

More JW-speak is often heard when you are talking about an illness; I don't know how many times I've heard come out of an unsympathetic and uncaring JW, "Well, you know there are people worse off then you!" - Like this is supposed to make me feel better and upbuild me spiritually? What for shit is this?

Jesus said you would know his flock by the love they show and the good works they do. When I was a child (pre-1985), I saw the joy in congregations. Since the mid to late 1980's everything has been going to hell. There is no joy, no compassion. Social get togethers were outright banned in 1985 or so, so no activities are allowed at all. There is no fun to be had, no joy to be shared - just slave away and don't dare bitch about anything or even think of questioning what they say. And Jesus as your mediator? Forget that, the WTBS is now God's very own mouthpiece! No hospitals, no retirement communities, no community centers, no Sunday School for children, no ANYTHING but rules to memorize to get you to conform to being a mindless robot magazine pusher.

I could go on-and-on, but the fact of the matter is I'm at a crossroads. Last year I took my non-JW wife to the Memorial, and people were nice and I talked to some old friends and we exchanged numbers and my wife showed interest, and even declared she'd like to know more. So....we went to a few more Sunday meetings, and we waited for a visit, a phone call, a note in the mail. And then - NOTHING. Here I was, trying to become more active and take interest and even introduce someone new to what I considered the Truth, and no one even gave a shit enough to call to help me! This was downright weird. I mean, what more would I have to ask for? To me, if Jehovah was truly with this organization, I'd see his love shining through and he would be directing me to come back and somehow make things work out. Instead, I have worldly people being more caring (our worldly neighbors brought food when my father was ill and also clean off my mother's driveway in the winter) while the JW's just ignore me and my questions. Is this how Jehovah is drawing me near??? Or is he showing me a way out to serve Him better in a new religion? I mean, I saw an Elder at a community fire hall several weeks ago and he didn't even invite me to the Memorial, I had to ask and almost invite myself!!

The guilt, confusion, amazement (at the events that have unfolded in my life to to JW upbringing and circumstances), resentment, sorrow, and outright fear I have for Jehovah by displeasing him by doing the wrong thing is almost more than I can bare. I mean, it's no longer just me, but my son's salvation I must think about. The last few weeks have been hell, as I have allowed my son to celebrate b-days (he's under 5) and that is all, and it's coincidence with the Memorial makes me feel confused, guilty, and depressed at all once. I haven't been able to share my feelings with my non-JW wife or even clue her in yet because she wouldn't understand all of this as she hasn't grown up like I have. Truly, I feel I have more in common with all of you the more I read your stories and dealings with this religion then with ones from my congregation that I've known for years.

What my mother (fader after my father died) and I have decided after we talked on the phone tonight is that we'd like to get in touch with some sort of ex-JW support group in our area - if even just to talk to others that may have had similar experiences. Maybe that is the first step. I have started looking into similar but less restrictional Christian denominations such as Seventh Day Adventists, who share similar beliefs but whom actually take care of their flocks instead ignoring them in their time of need. If anyone can give me some advice, help me get in touch with some sort of ex-JW support group, or just have some ideas, you can email me if you like. Email me at - [email protected]

Thanks for listening everyone.

Wing Commander

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

Wing Commander,

I am sorry for the pain that you are experiencing and the loss of a beloved family member. I wish that someone would have shown you and your family the concern that true christians should.

The only advice that I can share with you (in regards to your baby, the same that I am trying to use myself) is that there is nothing wrong with the bible. It has a good moral code to live by. JW's have made the bible a tool for judgement and unkindness. And they have put hedges about the law. They have made it absolutley impossible to please God because of all the hoops they make you jump through.

Micah 6:8 sums it up beautifully - "He has told you, O earthling man, what is good. And what is Jehovah asking back from you but to exercise justice and to love kindness and to be modest in walking with your God?"

If we could live by this scripture and try to raise our children by it then we have done everything that we need to to please God.

Hope this might help a bit.

Loruhamah

• cosmic
    cosmic

The love for your child is obvious. One thing I might suggest is that whatever you do, do not make your child an agent of revenge. The confusion you feel towards God is not your fault. In your heart you know what is truth and what is a lie. To quote my favorite K-Paxian, "All intelligent creatures know right from wrong." No matter what you are, nor who you are, your child needs to know that he/she is truely, unconditionally, loved by you, and they seem to weather all the rest. Make up you own name. I know, "Quantiphilo", hows that? God's name is Quantiphilo, and he made all the stars and all the planets and all the life, just for us. He loves us because we are. He doesn't think we're bad or good, or evil, or righteous, any more than we think that the last fly we saw was good or bad. But he wants us to be happy, no matter what we do, or what we are. He isn't going to give us anything and he isn't going to take anything away, he just wants us to be true to ourselves. But most of all, he wants us to know that he is here for you, and you alone. You don't need a crowd, or a congregation, or a Kingdom Hall or a religion to know Quantiphilo because he is so much bigger than all of those things. But he is no bigger than your heart, beacuse that is where he stays. If you search for Quantiphilo, he will be there, but only for you.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Hi WingCommander:

My own youth was stolen by the WTBS and has made me a total wreck at times. I refuse to do the same to him.

That is your answer, right there. Protect your son at all costs. I look at this way: The JW-upbringing is an "evil inheritage", it just goes on and on down thru the generations, just because someone in your family (grandmother or great grandmother or whatever) did a stupid choice, once upon a time in your familys history. Now his/her stupid choice follows the family down thru the generations. You have the power to stop this cycle, with your own children.

Mainly though, I'm completely astounded at the lack of attention or scriptual support my family got when my father became terminally ill and then died several years ago
    Tell me about it. I lost both my parents to cancer. My father spent 11 months in a hospital bed, dying from a brain tumor. He was a big guy, 270 lbs, when he died, he weighed less than half of that. Almost no visits, apart from the visits around surgery-time, of course, to make sure the patient stayed strong and opposed blood, etc. There is no love in the JW-religion, not even at times of dying. You`re on the right path.
  • blondie
    blondie

WC, I dealt with alcoholism in my family and my own sexual abuse as a child before I dealt with the spiritual abuse of the WTS. I can tell you that the tools I used to deal with the first 2 helped greatly with the latter.

One, the past is the past. You can actually heal that "inner child" by being a parent to yourself. Also, that life is not over until you are dead. This moment is the only one you live in and I try to make the best of each moment.

We can't change the past, our family, our friends. Only ourselves.

I try to concentrate on what is good in my life. My hubbie and I have been out of the BORG for 3 (4) years but we still have had hurdles.

Rejoice in your newfound knowledge and freedom from the spiritual abuse of the WTS.

Love, Blondie

• wombat
    wombat

Wing Commander...

I reckon that you have answered your own questions.......

Mate, just pull the plug and let all the dirty water wash away. Just call it quits with the WTS as from now. Walk away. A long way away. The further you walk away the more you will realise how non-sensible that faith is. Truly.

Do not look for a substitute faith for a long, long time. Maybe 10 or 20 years. It may take that long to be rid of all the scarring.

Your little kid is going to love his parents watching him play sport on weekends. You'll love having barbeques with his mate's parents after the game.

There is a beautiful life out there behind the Watch Tower curtain.

Wombat (of the d/a'd in '73, 2 years before Armageddon class)

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Wing Commander, welcome to JWD forum! You've found the XJW support group online; you're here now. As for an EXJW support group locally, what state or country do you live in?

We all know and can empathize with your dilemma regarding your depression and not knowing what to do about your son's future re: religion.

Here's a start: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/32/1.ashx Lady Lee has been kind enough to provide some terrific recovery threads for us here.

Glad to have you here, WC!

Frannie

• anewme
    anewme

WingCommander, you are doing the right thing. Talking here and posting and reading the many threads here will help you better than joining another church right now.

For the memorial these days I just go outside and have a moment looking at the full moon and thanking Jesus wherever he is for his sacrifice.

Whats the difference?

• Van Gogh
    Van Gogh

Wing Commander,
    I get the impression you are still stuck in (between): “ I'm not saying I don't agree with alot of the teachings”,
    "trying to become more active and take interest and even introduce someone new to what I considered the Truth”
    Mentally you are still defending and you are still in when you reminisce: “When I was a child (pre-1985), I saw the joy in congregations.” (Precious sentiments, I know, but the joy in the end could not stand up to the innate flaws of the system.) Yet, despite this you state: “ My own youth was stolen by the WTBS and has made me a total wreck at times.” But somehow the mere fact that you want to spare your own son this fate causes you to: “ feel confused, guilty, and depressed at all once” This is compounded by the fact that: “
    I haven't been able to share my feelings with my non-JW wife … because she wouldn't understand all of this as she hasn't grown up like I have.”

My two cents: stop perpetuating the insane divisive JW/religious heritage/cycle of: “guilt, confusion, amazement… resentment, sorrow, and outright fear”; Stop being a victim and take charge. Invest time to research JW-beliefs, neutralize them, liberate yourself and find peace. Start grieving about this properly and quit expecting the impossible of yourself. You can then start talking to your wife because you won’t have to defend what you have known to be indefensible all along. Forgive your parents and grandparents for having slaved in a senseless system, and for having brought you up in it; they did the best they could. Recognize the anger directed against yourself for having believed and actively propagated all this stuff; forgive yourself as well. Then forgive all the heartless ones and view them as victims of the system. Start heaping praise upon yourself for being smart enough to see through all the crap and having the courage to leave it behind you and rise above it. (As your situation mirrors mine, I’ll start trying to apply this counsel to myself now.)

V

• kcw
    kcw

I know how you feel. i was stuck like that for so long. i am free now though. the longer you are gone the less you'll think about it. i now know, true christian love. worldly people have shown me more love and compassion than any witnesses ever did. it's smoke and mirrors. that's all it is. when the memorial comes, i too will thank jesus for all he did for us. but i wont be going to any building to do it. it's between him and me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit