SUMMER CAMPS FOR KIDS A BIG NO-NO

by Mary 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at this, but my Dub sister told me this morning that at the meeting last night, they had a "local needs" about whether or not "Christian" parents should enroll their kids in any summer camps, or recreational activities that colleges and universities offer each year. The list of activities the kids can do are numerous and to me, they are an excellent source that could really help develop a child's talents, expose them to the wonders of science, art, engineering, etc., develop skills that would obviously be of benefit to them both now and in later life, and give them a chance to meet new friends from other schools in the area.

Anyway, while not out and out forbidding it, these activities are being very much frowned upon. I mean, why would you want your child to develop a taste for engineering or computer graphics, when they could be PIONEERING with you this summer?? (this is going on the assumption that the mother doesn't work outside the home and WILL be pioneering this summer). Given the "short amount of time left in this System of Things", wouldn't "be wiser" for parents to chose their children's activities "wisely"?? And of course, there's the potential horror of letting your children get to know non-Witness kids and forming friendships with them. What will you do if your child is then invited to a birthday party? Wouldn't you be better off encouraging your child to form friendships within the congregation and with youths who "put Jehovah first"?

I find it utterly nauseating that they are discouraging more and more, ANY unnecessary contact with "worldly" people. These programs offered to the kids are fantastic and yet how many Witness kids will not get the opportunity to experience these activities, because they'll be dragged from door to frigging door this summer with their mothers, fortelling everyone's doom unless they join the Borg.

It's no wonder that so many JW youths are depressed. Any natural potential for creativity they may have is being squashed down and locked away by the senile old goats in charge. You're not allowed to do ANYTHING that might be fun, or express your talents. It just makes me sick. Even my Dub sister does not agree with their attitude on this and can see that there's a major problem within the Organization..........I really, really hope that at least some Witness parents, will ignore this stupid "council", and will enroll their kids in these programs anyway.

• Scully
    Scully

What I find laughable, Mary, is that they have the nerve to call their Suggestion™ the Balanced™ point of view.

At least in these activity camps (in Canada), the people running or volunteering to work with them are required by law to submit to police background checks and they have no record of having molested kids. Can JWs say the same of the Brothers™ who might be "helping" the kids to Pioneer™ over the summer holidays?

• Lapuce
    Lapuce

Well they already did that bullsh*t talk at my congregation, it has been 3 years I send my oldest kid to a day camp, as he is Autistic and they do wonders for him, so I ignored the talk.... I'm glad I did, my son is now better then he ever was after that.

• Woofer
    Woofer

They were discouraging us from anything that would take us away from summer pioneering years and years ago. Can't they think of anything new to say?

Oh I forgot . .the "new" light. . . silly me.

• Mary
    Mary
    Scully said: At least in these activity camps (in Canada), the people running or volunteering to work with them are required by law to submit to police background checks and they have no record of having molested kids. Can JWs say the same of the Brothers™ who might be "helping" the kids to Pioneer™ over the summer holidays?

Ah yes, but Scully, these law abiding citizens who are volunteering for these camps are all going to die at Armageddon anyway, so what difference could it possibly make that they have no record of molesting children? I know of one JW kid in my area who is extremely talented yet he's not allowed to go to these programs, less he be influenced by "worldly philosophy". Instead, he'll be (you guess it) pioneering for at least one month this summer. Perhaps if his parents are feeling particularly daring, they might even allow him to go to a movie this summer. What kills me is that this kid will probably spend countless hours watching TV because he's "bored" and has "nothing to do". Somehow, the Dubs don't see anything wrong with kids watching 10 hours of TV a day, but god forbid they do something constructive at the hands of worldly people.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Mary, this sort of thing is happening more and more and its getting out of hand. Pretty soon, even the brain dead dubs will wake up and see this as an attack on their human rights.

• Clam
    Clam
    Association with non-Jehovah's Witness kids should be limited to trying to convert them. Your Youth-Getting the Best Out of It. 1976, p. 65.

Hey, why not send the JW kids to Summer Camps to convert those worldly™ other kids to The Truth™ ??????

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I went to a big Graphics Summer camp. 3000 kids applied, and only 24 were accepted, based on portfolios and teacher reccomendations. Mom was upset I would miss the meetings. The campus rules were that no one could leave... So there was no way for poor little Richie to get to the meetings. Mom suggested i do the telephone tie in.

I called, they hooked me up, and as soon as the prayer was over, I hung up.

But we had a blast. Learning, crude jokes, internet usage, fornication, it was awesome. I can see why Dub kids shouldn't go. Might learn something.

• flag
    flag

Well, I recently stopped attending meetings and my kids are big now, but I did send them on those camps trips sponsored by the school. (I wish I had sent them to others, but..)

What I did with my youngest one, was to enroll him in pop warner football and that helped him a lot on developing self steem and confidence. (my oldest was enroll in basketball)

Later on when he was in high school he also enrolled in wrestling and that helped him a lot because that is more of an individual sport and even if the team lost he can still come back home with some medals for his individual matches.

Of course that i have to sit through meetings and hear special needs talks about extracurriculum activities and all the horrible things that happened at the locker rooms, bla,bla,bla,

• delilah
    delilah

It's no wonder that so many JW youths are depressed. Any natural potential for creativity they may have is being squashed down and locked away by the senile old goats in charge. You're not allowed to do ANYTHING that might be fun, or express your talents. It just makes me sick.

Mary, the best thing we ever did for our kids, was to stop going to the hall. They now play football, which has helped to boost their self esteem, big time...something the society is forever trying to squelch. My kids are allowed to have sleepovers with their friends, and go to the movies, and there is always a parent present, (contrary to what the society would have it's followers believe, they are, after all, "worldly")

My kids are getting good grades, they get to go to enrichment classes, which help to enhance their grades and talents, and we have a good repor with them...something a lot of families in the "truth" do not share with their kids. My kids don't have to hide anything from us, we talk about everything. Not to say, that I'm not going to have ANY trouble with my kids, kids will be kids, after all, but you get the idea.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit