Eulogy for My Father

by Farkel 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

On Tuesday, August 4, 2001 at 3:42.a.m. MST, Duane Floyd Checketts, 77 died in his sleep due to complications from pneumonia. He is survived by his wife Bette and two children, Douglas Checketts, Patty Smith, and 8 grandchildren.

Duane, who was fondly called “Duke” by everyone who knew him was born in Farmington, Utah on March 8, 1924. His father Floyd, was one of 10 children raised in a tiny house built by his own Mormon father who immigrated in the early 1860's from Birmingham, England. Duane was working as a ship fitter in the San Francisco shipyards when he was called into active duty in the United States Navy in early 1942. He served as a firefighter in World War II on board ship in the South Pacific until his release from the military at the War’s end in 1945. An experienced welder, he was called upon to weld a slab of steel on his ship to cover a huge hole blown by the Japanese navy during combat. This activity was performed while the ship and fleet was at full steam and in convoy formation.

On June 2, 1946 he married Bette Fifield. After the war he worked for the same family-owned truck body manufacturing company for 37 years. During that period, he worked his way up from welder, to foreman to superintendent of two shifts to Company salesman. Until he finally retired on Social Security 10 years later at age 65, he worked as a general-purpose maintenance man in an electronics company.

He became baptized into the Jehovah’s Witness religion in 1963 and served in his congregation in various support positions, including magazine, literature and accounts servant. Up until a hip-replacement prevented him from doing so a few years ago, he always enjoyed working alone visiting the homes of neighbors each Saturday morning and offering the Watchtower and Awake! Magazines.

He never seriously engaged himself in hobbies nor reached out to make many close friends during his life. His life revolved around his work, his wife and his religion. He was a father who found it difficult to show outward emotion to his children, but made up for that by setting a good example as a hard-working, honest and decent man.

He enjoyed singing and with his magnificent untrained voice loved to sit around the piano and sing his favorite songs while being accompanied on the piano by his son. “Estrellita” (“My Little Star”) was his favorite.

He never turned down an offer to help someone and was always cheerfully available when his children needed him. He was a simple and humble man. He will be missed by all whose lives he touched.

Rest in peace, Dad. You’ve earned that rest. I was blessed to have you in life.

Your son,

Doug

• Tina
    Tina

Farkel luv,
    Will you be at the wake? crying for you right now ...Im so so sorry.You are in our hearts and thoughts ,hope that gives you some strength right now,,love always,Tina

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny..."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense-you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• Prisca
    Prisca

Oh Doug, I'm so sorry.

He was a fine man who raised a wonderful son.

• JAVA
    JAVA

Doug,

My thoughts are with you, dear friend. I'm so sorry about your loss. That's a wonderful eulogy, and I hope you send it to the paper. Thank you for sharing it with us.

--JAVA
    counting time at the Coffee Shop

• Kent
    Kent

Hi Doug;

I'm sorry for your loss, my friend. Your eulogy were thoughtful, and I agree with JAVA here, I hope you send it to a paper. Thanks for shearing, and take care, my friend. I'm thinking of you these days...

Yakki Da

Kent

I need mor BOE letters and other material. Those who can send it to me - please do! The new section will be interesting!!

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

I don't know you or your father but you have my sympathy. I lost my father a long time ago and I know how it feels. It sounds like he was a wonderful man.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• outnfree
    outnfree

My heart is deeply touched, Farkel.

It seems your father and mine were much alike -- something I would never had known if you hadn't eulogized him here. Survivors of WWII Pacific action, loyal employees, suffering an emotional loss as a result of the discounting of that loyalty, but dutifully and quietly going through life as honest and decent men.

It is good to express all these loving thoughts. I agree that should your Dad get the typical WT burial it will be a dry and unloving "you, too, can possibly be resurrected after you die" pitch, with the 'audience' coming away knowing little more of your father than they did when coming in. Terrible how the WTBTS treats mourners as an audience, isn't it? Even when I was witness I determined that I would NOT want a witness funeral for myself. I wanted my family to have the opportunity to grieve.

We have not only gotten a view of your dad by your loving eulogy, but also a view of you, Doug Checketts. And its a very fine man and loving son that is reflected.

May your father rest in peace, Farkel, and may you find peace as you struggle on.

outnfree

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Beautifully said Doug :) Im sure wherever your dad is, he's saying boy howdy did I SCREW UP wasting my life in that cult. More people will read this than will listen to that Jehovahs Witness Infomercial they so coldly read at JW funerals. Nothing sickens me more than taking advantage of the sorrow of others to SELL PRODUCTS and thats all that talk is.

I hope somebody remembers me that fondly.

hugs

• willy_think
    willy_think

I'm sorry for your loss Farkel. thank you for leting us know your dad, even this little bit.

• Shaneliza
    Shaneliza

I am sorry for your loss. Your tribute to your dad was beautiful. You have touched my heart today.

Shannon M.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit