When is Satan thrown out of heaven?

by M.J. 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Will Power
    Will Power

Funny thing happens when you start to bring FEAR and MONSTERS out into the light -

• Augustin
    Augustin

Leolaia,

Do you have access to Andrew's (Andreas') commentary on revelation?

Regards

Augustin

• Narkissos
  • jgnat
    jgnat

Excellent topic, M. J. I watch with interest.

I'd thought the great battle with Satan cast down was before Eve was tempted, but that didn't quite fit either.

• EAGLE-1
    EAGLE-1

He may be cast down in the next Star Wars movie.Cant wait to see it.Pretty exciting...........

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

There is some discussion of Andrew of Caesarea's citations of Papias in Nickelsburg's commentary on 1 Enoch....they reflect the wording of the Greek text of 1 Enoch in places, suggesting that Papias was influenced by the descent myth in the "Book of Watchers" in 1 Enoch.

It has also been widely noted that the vision in Revelation 12 reflects the ANE conflict myth (i.e. Yahweh versus Rahab/Leviathan/dragon in the OT, and Baal versus Yamm/Lotan/dragon in Ugaritic texts), such that the "ancient serpent" represented by the Dragon has in view not just the serpent of the Edenic myth but also the dragon involved in cosmogony. John Day's book God's Conflict with the Dragon and the Sea has the best discussion of this issue.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I can't recall the date but I do remember that it was on a Tuesday.

Rub a Dub

• FairMind
    FairMind

If Satan wasn't kicked out of heaven until 1914, what was he doing on earth in a snakesuit tempting Eve several milleniums before?

The explanation (WTS version) isn't that Satan did not have access to the earth prior to 1914 but that after 1914 he is confined to the sphere of the earth with absolutely no influence in heaven.

• Augustin
    Augustin

The following books might be consulted:

Koch, M.: Drachenkampf und Sonnenfrau. Zur Funktion des Mythischen in der Johannesapokalypse am Beispiel von Apk 12. (WUNT 2/184). Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2004. Excellent study -- it covers all problems.

McNamara, M.: The New Testament and the Palestinian Targum to the Pentateuch. (AnBi 27). Rome: Pontificial Biblical Institute. McNamara is good on the OT background.

Regards

Augustin

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The Lords Prayer at Mat 5 says "thy will be done, on earth, as it is in heaven"

This would indicate to me that Satan was already cast out prior to Jesus time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit