Rules Created by the Body of Elders and an Off Topic Question

by XJW4EVR 21 Replies latest jw friends

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

In my latest post in My Story, I recounted how my dad and another Elder made attendance at high school sports events a no-no. In retrospect, I don't recall anything in print that made attendance at local sporting events a shepherding offense. Maybe my memory is faulty.

Did your BOE make rules like this?

As an aside, can anyone direct me in how to get the WT library CD?

• divejunkie
    divejunkie

Where do I start?
    ANY school sports was a no-no -- attending and definitely participating.
    Let me put it to you this way: The first time I ever attended a school field-day was in my first year AS A TEACHER!!!!!! School field trips were "questionable" unless the JW parent was a chaperone. My first field trip: 2nd year of High School.

School dances! Like Tony Soprano would say: "Forget about it!" but that one was on print actually.

I grew up in an island, so going to the beach was the most popular, cheap and available form of entertainmen; until the geniuses decided to put a rule that groups without "adult" supervision - and by that they meant married adults, since we were all over 18 at the time - were not permitted. That one really pissed me off. My way of rebelling against that one: I signed up for SCUBA classes and spent every Saturday and Sunday morning diving with "worldly people" WITHOUT proper adult supervision.

• bennyk
  • crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

The elders in our congregation not only forbid anyone from participating or going, they rearranged the meetings to be on Tues. and Fridays nights. That's when the sports games were played.

When I ran away from home my senior year I made cheerleader. Then went to college on a cheerleading scholarship. That REALLY pissed off my JW parents!

shell

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Come on now !!!! ...

I thought the "off-topic" question may have to do with chronic diseases or anal warts ...

That question is not so "off-topic."

Rub a Dub

• Clam
    Clam

Association with non-Jehovah's Witness kids should be limited to trying to convert them. Your Youth-Getting the Best Out of It. 1976, p. 65.

To play sports with children that are not Jehovah's Witnesses is definitely "unwholesome"!

School and Jehovah's Witnesses, 1983, p.23.

You are reminded that involvement in after-school sports tie you down, requiring you to spend evenings and weekends playing on a school team. You are expected to be at the lectures at the Kingdom Hall. "Any recreation you take outside of school should not be with worldly youths."

Watchtower, 9/1/64, p.535.
  • vitty
    vitty

My kids always joined in the annual sports day and so did all the other witness children. They also went to gymnastics and dancing. Nothing was ever said to me. I knew one couple who stopped their son doing football cos he was wanted in the county league, he had real talent and I thought it was such a waste

• penny2
    penny2

Here downunder there was a DC where they said no ice-skating. The one time that I went, I thought it was the most innocent entertainment possible.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

school brochure said this:

"Sports: Bodily training, such as we get in sports, is good for us. But placing the matter in proper perspective, the Bible says: "Be training yourself with godly devotion as your aim. For bodily training is beneficial for a little; but godly devotion is beneficial for all things." (1 Timothy 4:7, 8) In keeping with this advice, Jehovah’s Witnesses appreciate the value of physical education courses that are conducted during school hours.

At the same time, however, Witness parents feel that schools often overemphasize sports. Therefore in training their children, they try to moderate the emphasis on athletic achievement. They hope their young ones will want to pursue careers, not as athletes, but as ministers of God. So Witness parents encourage their children to use after-school hours principally to pursue spiritual interests, rather than to excel in some sport.

Participation in organized sports, we believe, would expose Witness youths to unwholesome associations. We also feel that the competitive spirit in modern sports—‘the winning isn’t everything, it’s the ONLY thing’ ideology—has harmful effects. So if Witness youths feel the need for extra recreation, their parents encourage them to seek such recreation with fellow believers, yes, "along with those who call upon the Lord out of a clean heart."—2 Timothy 2:22.

Cheerleader

and Homecoming Queen: At athletic events it is the responsibility of cheerleaders to orchestrate the crowd in frenzied cheering for a school. They also encourage the people into hero worship and lead them in standing for the school song. Jehovah’s Witnesses consider it inappropriate to do this. Similarly, we feel that for a Witness youth to serve as a homecoming or beauty queen would be in violation of Bible principles that show the impropriety of glorifying humans.—Romans 1:25; Acts 12:21-23.

School

Dances: As with sports, dancing can also be a wholesome, healthful activity. It is evident that Jesus Christ approved of it, since he mentioned dancing as a part of a proper celebration in his illustration about the prodigal son. (Luke 15:25) However, you may have noted that Witness youths usually do not attend dances sponsored by the school, such as the junior and senior proms. Why?

This is principally because of the poor environment that often exists in connection with school dances. Commonly there is smoking, alcohol abuse, use of drugs, as well as scandalous sexual conduct. Thus a person who attends these dances almost unavoidably is thrown together with unwholesome associates. So, in keeping with the admonition to pursue activities "along with those who call upon the Lord out of a clean heart," it is the custom of Jehovah’s Witnesses to stay clear of school dances."

In our area it was a no no.

meagan

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

In our small town Football is like a religion , huge emphasis . Several Elders never missed a friday night game .(meeting was thurs. night ) My own hubby never missed a game . But our own kids were suppose to reject any idea of participation. How hypocritical....and the kids notice they are not stupid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit