I Quit Smoking!

by Nosferatu 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I'm on day three of my freedom from the smoking trap! I've already saved $22.30. I also know that I will never touch any tobacco product again.

For those who want to know how I did it, Jehovah didn't have anything to do with it. Jehovah can lick my hairy ass. I read the book "Allen Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking". I heard good things about this book, knew four people who quit smoking after reading it, and so I figured I'd try it.

However, the first day of not smoking wasn't all that easy. I went through some nasty nicotine withdrawl. I had some really horrible mood swings. Everything feeling was amplified 20x. However, I had no desire to light a cigarette. It wasn't willpower, it was the desire to eliminate something extremely negative out of my life. I didn't need the cigarette and knew that the cigarette itself caused my horrible mood swings.

The next day and today are much better. My brain is still setting off the alarm "Okay, time for a smoke!" I have to remind it that I'm now a non-smoker. Hell, today I even reached for a pack of cigarettes without even realizing it. Time will eventually change the subconscious.

So, I've been thinking about the reasons I started smoking. It was very much related to the JW religion. I wanted to get the hell out of the religion, but my parents were preventing me from leaving. So, since I wasn't baptized, I did something that would prevent me from getting baptized. I started smoking. I also believed that it was a stress reliever, and it was in the beginning. I loved that numbing feeling when you aren't addicted. Unfortunately, that goes away.

So, I had a good look at the reasons why I started. Those reasons were no longer valid (which they never were, but it seemed like an ideal escape at the time). I am no longer a JW, I don't live with my parents, and I'm not incredibly stressed out. Goodbye cigarettes!

On a side note, the friend that got me started smoking quit back in November.

Hooray for freedom!

• KW13
    KW13

ha excellent thats good to hear.

Your gonna be a dad aint ya? This is a good thing!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Good luck Nosferatu, I know you can make it.

• daystar
    daystar

Awesome! Three days and you saved that much?! Wow, you smoked a lot.

Keep it up!

• Scully
    Scully

That's great for you Nos!

And the money you save will come in real handy when your little one finally arrives.

• gumby
    gumby
    I also know that I will never touch any tobacco product again.

Never say never. I've heard that line from myself and many others more than once. If you can make it 2 or 3 months, then you'll know if you've can do it. For some, a week is easy. For others, the first week is the toughest. Me, it was always about 3 weeks into no smoking that it started getting tough.

Not trying to be negative buddy, but never be too sure of yourself....and IF you fail, simply try it again.

Many people have to try several times before they pull it off as I'm sure you are aware of.

Good Luck, bud.....we're proud of you! Good decision!

Gumby

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Three days and you saved that much?! Wow, you smoked a lot.

No, I just paid a lot. A pack of 25 cigarettes cost me $11.15. I smoked 1/2 a pack a day.

Now, hopefully the wife will quit soon.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Well done it's good for your health and if you saved $22 in a few days imagine how much you will save over the next year and all the years to come. Let the cigarette companies take the loss as many smokers quit the habit.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

glad it's working for you.

nice update....

• daystar
    daystar
    No, I just paid a lot. A pack of 25 cigarettes cost me $11.15. I smoked 1/2 a pack a day.

Oh yeah... I forgot... Canada...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit