Riddle me this....

by Serene 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

Hey Serene,

I know exactly how you feel. I had a one year relationship with a JW woman which ended in January because she couldn't continue leading a double life. I was a secret the entire time. If you have questions, feel free to PM me. Being a Christian as you are, it may or may not shock you as to the general beliefs that differ from yours immensely. Christ being a created angel, not God and the twisting of Scripture to support their theology. No physical ressurection of the body. No birthdays, Christmas, Thanksgiving, holidays etc..

We still are having trouble breaking away from each other. We still keep in contact through emails/text messages. It's really been the most heart-breaking situation I've ever known. I thought I was going to marry this girl.

I suggest you read the posts on this site. They will really give you insight into JW beliefs and doctrines. Educate yourself as much as you can on everything. And like I said, if you need advice or anything from someone on the outside who was in your exact situation, let me know.

Stay strong.

Kristofer

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi serene,

Welcome to the forum! Differences in religious beliefs are one of the major causes of disagreements in marriage, especially if kids are involved. Please take a good look at this religion, and quickly. You need to decide if you can deal with it. If you can't, then you need to end the relationship before either of you invest any more time into it.

I wish you the best.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Hi, Serene!

Please be aware, that JW's do not salute the United States (or any) flag, serve in the armed forces, celebrate any holidays or birthdays, and refuse blood transfusions even if they will die.

These are just some of the oddities of this religious cult. Here's another problem for many: a college education is frowned upon, especially graduate school. It is considered a waste of time better spent in door to door preaching. Your career is something you should rightly be proud of, but they will not encourage it.

Women are to be in submission to men and are expected to be subordination to male headship. Women are not equal to men in JW families. Now, we all know better, but they would require you to go along with this, if you continue the relationship with him, and eventually get sucked in. Since you are an intelligent, competent woman in law school, can you really accept male headship and a subservient role? He is probably keeping quiet about you to his family, while he tries to get you started attending the Kingdom Hall. Then, he will urge you to begin a home Bible study with one of the Sisters. After you are attending regularly, and seem to be on the verge of becoming a JW, it will be OK to let Mom meet you. He can then present you as an interested person, who is studying to become a JW.

Either he needs to get out, or you need to join in. They will make it so miserable for him that either he will give in to the pressure and break it off, or you will sell out your beliefs and values, possibly estranging yourself from your friends and family, to take up this odd life inside a cult.

Best of luck to you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit