Most irritating adverts

by greendawn 41 Replies latest jw friends

• wombat
    wombat

May as well be Frog. I've got a couple of spare bedrooms, don't work and Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo is about 40 minutes drive away. I took some visitors up there a few weeks ago and they were given a wave by the man himself as he cruised past on a bike. They were stoked.

I've got a few visitors booked in for this year already. I only accept folk who are interesting.

• Frog
    Frog

That sounds like a grand way to spend your time Wombat :) Haven't myself been to Aust Zoo, but a number of my family have, and were relatively impressed. x

• wombat
    wombat

Frog..I spent 5 weeks in Calcutta with my 88 yo mother 18 months ago. We met a beautiful couple from California who came to stay with us recently. They thought that all the parrots I was talking about (galahs, cockatoos, lorikeets etc) were in cages. These are all wild birds. They had the lorikeets jumping all over them.

I've got to shut the door at night to keep the possums out. They couldn't believe that we don't have a house key. Lived here for 14 years and never been able to lock the house. The CBD is about half an hour away.

Back to the point. Now that I am now the official Ambassador, there is room here for visitors so long as you can prove that you are an interesting person.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

The White House news briefings.

steve

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

I can't stand the commercial where this guy is cooking something in his kitchen and is on the phone trying to get ahold of his credit card company. He has to keep pressing buttons on his corded wall mounted phone, but the food cooking on the stove gets out of control and a fire starts. The guy is trying to put out the fire with a broom while pressing 1 or 2 on the phone. The broom then catches fire and the fire starts spreading. Just hang up the friggin phone already and call back later. How can this guy be so dumb?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

The Budweiser "This is Budweiser/This is Beer" song commercials. So annoyingly sentimental and phony-anthemic. I can't stand commercials that are so cynically calculated to make the viewer feel all warm and fuzzy about something or another.

One of the tricks of the ad trade that I've noticed lately is that they'll have somebody speaking while looking directly at the camera. And then, (and it's very obviously scripted) the person pauses and looks off to the side for a moment, then their eyes snap back to the camera and they continue. UGH!

There's one financial services company (can't remember which one) who's commercials parade these sun-splashed clips of 40 and 50-somethings hanggliding, kayaking, etc., accompanied by a voice-over heaping praise upon this age-group for their history of sticking it to the man or doing things their way or never settling for second best or whatever. It's such transparent flattery that has little to do with the reality of the lives of the people that the ads are geared towards.

Lexus commercials, with their barfy-sophisticated voice-over guy. They make no attempt whatsoever to disguise the snob appeal. They just pour it on!!

Jewelry commercials. All of them. I pretty much avoid the local AM sports radio station for the entire month of December because of them.

• Dimples
    Dimples

Anything with the Burger King man. He gives me the creeps!

Dimples

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

The ads for E-sure (?) car insurance.

Every time I hear that guy saying 'Relax dear, it's a commercial' I want to punch more than his car lights out

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

I also do not like the Geico Caveman commercial.

Caveman 1: "I'll take the Roast Duck with the Mango Salsa"

Caveman 2: (The p__sed off Caveman) "I don't have much of an appetite, thank you". Followed by that threatening stare....

What the heck does that have to do with selling car insurance?

Just plain ol' annoying.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The Caveman commercials were cute the first few thousand times I saw them. A few million times later, they are so annoying. The first caveman commercial, with the boom handler getting insulted during the filming of the commercial itself, was still the best and they showed that only a dozen times or so.

Geico commercials usually have nothing to do with their product; nobody really wants insurance, it's something they legally have to have, so the commercials just try to make their brand seem likeable and fun. For the most part, I like their ads....some of the funniest commercials I have ever seen are Geico ones (my favorite is the soap opera spoof).

BTW, if you subscribe to adrag.com, they have an exhaustive archive of old and current commericials (going back decades) you can download.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit