The beginning of the end for shunning?

by Saltheart Foamfollower 52 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

millie210 - "...the GB could step in and render a compassionate new ruling on DF policy...Is that too far fetched?"

"GB" and "compassionate" in the same sentence... wow, not something you see every day.

No offense, but I'd say it's about as far-fetched as Genesis being literal history.

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

This may be off topic, so I apologize upfront. But the subject got me thinking...

After years of having my family and the "Organization" kick me around like a soccer ball with the shunning practice, I am not sure if I would immediately embrace changes in this area if it came. Maybe in the past I would have.

I think I have a bit more pride now and they don't have the high-moral ground they had in my mind before. I don't think I would be so quick to act as if all is forgotten and try to go back to "normal".

I am not sure if I would want to associate with people (my family) who turn off their love so easily and capriciously. And, based on all of the scandals, I am not sure I would want to associate with JWs. After all, I have a reputation to maintain. Who knows? Maybe I should put them through a reinstatement process...

I know many don't feel that way and I totally understand that. I think in my case, I am tired of being subject to the "Organization's" whims and always having to act according to their terms.

• brandnew
    brandnew
    The g.b. should be shunned, until the rank and file felt the g.b.were fit to be rank and file.
  • DJS
    DJS

We see these 'kinder and gentler Dark Lords" OPs every couple of months. It is fun to play what if. This is what i know. Feel free to de-construct:

The Dark Lords love the following in order of most to least important:

Control - It is common for those in control, whether it is the Dark Lords, politicians, Clergy, CEOs, the Head Coach or the local Boyscout leader, to do pretty much anything in order to hold on to or strengthen their control. Human nature I suppose, so the Dark Lords aren't much different than others in this regard. But they love control more than they love air. It is their drug of choice, first and last IMHO, and their ultimate "Precious."

Money - As far back as you care to look, the Dark Lords equated enough $ with god's approval. I doubt that has changed any, and I doubt if it ever will. They seem to have taken on an almost Gollum-like affinity to their shiny Precious -es. They almost certainly rationalize/justify their affinity for Precious-es with the same reasoning that CT and the rest of the old school Dark Lords used. It is a sign the lord is with them. From what many of you describe - the greedy grab of the $ from the congregations' tills, etc. they may have even ramped up their obsession with Precious-es.

Growth- Like Paul (I think it was Paul I'm so bible rusty), they often look at the growth as evident of their bona fides, their credentials. Not that they actually give a fukk about any of the rank and file, but they do love numbers, and they use growth, any growth, to spur on the rank and file in zeal.

So can/will the Dark Lords evolve into being White Lords? I don't know; anything I suppose is possible, but the scenarios that would make this occur would almost all have to include something akin to Gollum chewing off his own leg and arm before giving up control and then and only then as a last resort. The Dark Lords clearly are making some things easier from what you all say - lower hours for pioneers, etc., but in the same manner they appear to be ramping up control in some areas that have the potential for some really dark and scary times ahead for the rank and file. There appears to be trouble in Mordor as seen from a distance.

Having said all of that, I cannot see any scenario that would include abolishing DFing. That is the ultimate control, and without it the mean, nasty, vile apostates - us in other words - would/could have free access to run amok amongst the Hobbitses, creating turmoil and chaos in the Shire. And causing the Dark Lords to lose control, the one thing that is truly their Precious.

• steve2
    steve2

After years of having my family and the "Organization" kick me around like a soccer ball with the shunning practice, I am not sure if I would immediately embrace changes in this area if it came. Maybe in the past I would have.

I think I have a bit more pride now and they don't have the high-moral ground they had in my mind before. I don't think I would be so quick to act as if all is forgotten and try to go back to "normal".

I am not sure if I would want to associate with people (my family) who turn off their love so easily and capriciously. And, based on all of the scandals, I am not sure I would want to associate with JWs. After all, I have a reputation to maintain. Who knows? Maybe I should put them through a reinstatement process...

Very powerfully stated StrongHaiku. You da man, in my book.

Years ago, when I was a lot younger and far more vulnerable, I'd have moved heaven and earth to have my JW family and friends talk to me: "Please! Please! Don't desert me!" I would say in my then weak, pitiful way.

Now that I am older and have developed a stronger sense of identity and recognize my own core strength, I would not choose to be around people who so easily cut me dead. I am worth more than being thankful for JWs' small mercies. Besides, there are so many affirming, genuine people in my community, I have no need for the stale crumbs the organization may toss in my direction.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange
    Thanks, Steve!
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Steve2...

Good for you; a little pride is a healthy thing.

• hoser
    hoser

Shunning is evidence of the herd mentality of jehovahs witnesses. Anyone who dares to think or act differently which threatens the hierarchy of the Jehovah's Witness herd is ostracized.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

The WTS needs to keep the disfellowshipping policy.

Without it, the WTS could lose their status of religion (for tax purposes) in some countries. Disfellowshipping establishes that all members have a 'genuine belief'. It is this concept - genuine belief - that allows the WTS to qualify as a religion and subsequently, earn their tax status as one.

• hoser
    hoser
    Never thought of it that way orphan crow It does make sense though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit