The beginning of the end for shunning?

by Saltheart Foamfollower 52 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

The borg seem to prepare for changes by missing explanations out for a while then presenting a "new understanding" which doesn't contradict the most recent discussion.Check out the most recent references to Gog - no identification as Satan.

In today's Wt study, paragraph 15 concerning benefitting from the prodigal son stated "If we meet a person who has strayed from the congregation, will we offer loving and practical help to assist him to return?" There is no footnote or other qualifier saying not to go to disfellowshipped ones (who are definitely the ones being talked about) which is still the official policy. I know this isn't an ending to shunning, but it may signal the start of the preparation for a change. One comment was made where I was that we shouldn't shun ones who return to the congregation. It seemed to fit in with the spirit of the study. Putting it near the end also meant that many would miss it. Any thoughts?

The (not so) Pure One

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think your reading more to the article thats there.

The article is more focused on people non-believers who have strayed away . ie. Prodigal son analogy

Not DFed ones who still try and attend..

I dont see the WTS dropping the DFing policy, they've got too much to protect with regards to its lying and corrupt doctrines as well the WTS uses DFing to keep out people who may not present a good public image by their behavior. They want that control and DFing gives it to them.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

What Finkelstein said above.

If the Mormons have excommunication then why would the Witnesses not have it?

• cofty
    cofty
    Shunning is essential to cults. It will only get tougher.
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

I agree with Cofty!

Before/during 'consolidation' of Kingdom Halls, I reckon a cleaning out of all the deadwood will occur and that new methods of 'cleansing the congregation' will be implemented. Only hard-core, obedient, contributing Witnesses will be the order of the day!

A purging will come!

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

@ The Searcher:

"Only hard-core, obedient, contributing Witnesses will be the order of the day!"

It happened in Rutherford's day, big-time.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

If you're expecting a "kinder and gentler" Governing Body, I expect you will be sorely disappointed.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

In today's Wt study, paragraph 15 concerning benefitting from the prodigal son stated "If we meet a person who has strayed from the congregation, will we offer loving and practical help to assist him to return?

I believe the term "stray" means those who have become distracted by other activities or who's faith has waned for a time so as to cause them to lose interest. It is not referring to disfellowshipped ones or those who purposely stopped attending due to disbelief of the JW doctrines. The scriptures that mention "not breaking bread with non believers or sinners" will still apply to those who are asked to leave or do so intentionally on their own.

• TimDrake1914
    TimDrake1914

When I first read this, I thought the same thing. But if you take a look a the Spanish translation of this WT article, it actually does add the qualifier "...who have strayed from the congregation, but are not disfellowshipped..."

Strange that the spanish translation would specifically add this. The English version seems more loving.

• millie210
    millie210

I am afraid "the harsh" is here to stay That being said, I can see it working both ways. If they loosen the DF arrangement, a lot of the slackers will run away, leaving them with a pared down Rutherford re-do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit