Dub Parents who neglected health issues of their kids

by pratt1 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• pratt1
    pratt1

A friend of mine mentioned that he was bitter about the fact that his dub parents neglected his oral hygiene and health because they thought the new system was around the corner and since he would be perfect, his teeth would automatic be healed.

This guy only went to the dentist 2x as a child and really did need brace - we used to call him "bucky" because of his teeth.

As an adult he had the majority of his teeth removed because they were beyond fixing.

Do you know of other examples of Parents neglecting the health of their kids because of the impending "new system".

• Dimples
    Dimples
    This guy only went to the dentist 2x as a child and really did need brace - we used to call him "bucky" because of his teeth.

That is so sad. My son who is 11 is getting braces on Friday. We took him to the orthodontist at age 8 and it was a bit early for the braces then, now he is finally ready. I can't imagine having my son go through life with his "BUCKY" teeth. The kids at school are so cruel and started calling him names like bucktooth beaver, spongebob, etc. It is going to be well worth the $5,000 we will have to spend. My daughter was lucky she has perfectly straight teeth, looks like she had braces.

Dimples

• leftbelow
    leftbelow

Yeah I can relate Parents never took us even though I know they couldn't aford it there were programs that could have helped. I had very strong teeth but also needed braces Mom always said why waste money on something Jehovah will fix. So I endured the name calling and grew up the good JW that my Mom wanted now I have braces and it hurts but now I feel I can smile now funny how a little thing can damage a teenagers self esteem

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Threadjack!

Maybe I´m confused but I though you had to be resurrected to get one of those perfect 22 Y-O bodies. I´m pretty sure those who live through ¨Army Geddon¨ will jast have to make do with what they have for the next 1,000 years or so.

Don't worry about the teeth though cuz they won't be eating steak.

We know there will be no screwing for those perfect body babes, only for the ones who are alive for Armageddon so those of you who are putting off having kids till the New System better start thinking about changing your plans as you near 40.

• greendawn
    greendawn

These are more victims of the WTS they got victimised by the idea that the end is near, and that the WTS gave them the right instructions for getting through a divine judgement, in fact both points are wrong as no one can find salvation through the ideas of the FDS or by serving their super rich corporation. This person just lost a lot of teeth for nothing.

• serendipity
    serendipity

My parents neglected our health issues because they were cheap, not because they were JWs.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    A friend of mine mentioned that he was bitter about the fact that his dub parents neglected his oral hygiene and health because they thought the new system was around the corner and since he would be perfect, his teeth would automatic be healed.

I didn`t get the braces either, although I really needed them. My teeth were a bit to big for my mouth, so a few of them are leaning inwards. I guess the braces were to expensive to my cheap, selfish JW-parents. It`s never been a problem, cause it only shows if I open wide, but everytime I go see a dentist, they always ask why the heck I didn`t have braces. Well, new system coming any day (yeah, right).

• rebel8
    rebel8

I've got about a million examples. My neglect as a JW child went beyond the blood issue. It was full-blown neglect of my basic medical needs. My siblings experienced similar things and I can think of at least 1 instance when 1 of them was in such bad condition the doctor threatened to hospitalize her against my mother's will. I don't know why he didn't; she could have easily died. I guess if you believe your kids will be resurrected to a better life, there's no big motive to keep them alive in "this wicked system".

There was an article in the media quoting a jw about this, I think it was a diabetic. You may be able to find it in my old posts.

So.....don't smoke because that is showing disrespect for the body J gave you, but it's fine to passively neglect it.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

My brother Mike almost died as a child when he contracted Whooping Cough. My father did not believe in immunizations...

• blondie
    blondie

I knew that there were parents who did not have good health insurance...but I don't think it was always by choice. Medical and dental are expensive when you pay out of pocket.

I do know of a few parents who did not get their children immunized still following the WT edicts from before 1950. It did create a problem in the congregation because the vast majority by the 1980's had no problem with vaccinations. I heard one elder say that this family made the rest of them seem like "kooks."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit