Weird Aussie JW news item

by Dirks Retort 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Dirks Retort
    Dirks Retort

Weird news article from the front page of the local newspaper below...I doubt whether this is a good news story for JWs as it tends to indicate that the JW involved was a paedophile (ie she was at best 15 when they first started "living together")....

Allow us to marry: Teen asks court for love licence By GAVIN LOWER Law Reporter 23mar06

A TEENAGE girl has asked a Stephanie Grabe is 17 and has applied to the Hobart Magistrates Court for permission to marry on religious grounds.

She and her fiance, Owen Gillbee, 25, are Jehovah's Witnesses and are not allowed to live together before they are married.

Outside court yesterday Owen's mother, Pam Gillbee, explained that the couple were trying to do the right thing.

"Surely the court would help them to do the right thing," she said.

Mrs Gillbee said Owen and Stephanie met when Owen moved to to work.

Owen had "faded out" of his religion and they began living together, which Mrs Gillbee said she and her husband thought was wrong.

They lived together for two years and in that time Stephanie joined a Bible study group and became a Jehovah's Witness.

That led to their living arrangements having to change because of the religion's views on living together before marriage.

As a result Owen's father moved in with the couple to chaperone for seven months until Stephanie moved in with Owen's family.

But the living arrangements have not been smooth sailing with Owen's teenage sister also living with them. Owen told Magistrate Sam Mollard yesterday the living arrangements had been "a little hectic".

"With two teenage girls they don't always get on," he said.

Owen is living in while Stephanie is in New Norfolk.

The court heard Stephanie's parents lived in and had consented to her marrying Owen.

Under federal law people can only get married after they turn 18.

However the law lets people aged between 16 and 18 apply to be allowed to get married in exceptional and unusual circumstances.

Stephanie will turn 18 in November.

Mr Mollard said he would hear evidence in Stephanie's application on May 5.

He suggested she would have to explain why her case was exceptional and unusual and that her application should be granted.

Mr Mollard also referred her to earlier cases dealing with applications to be allowed to marry.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Considering Tasmania was the last state to decriminalise sodomy, and is Australia's equivalent of Arkansas, perhaps this story isn't so weird...

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Hi Dirk,
    I tend not to admit that I am Tasmanian as people come to expect stories that involve Tasmanians and strange or illegal sexual relationships.
    Good point, can't this guy get in trouble for admitting that at 23 he was living with a 15 year old. He is running quite a risk having her apply for marriage.
    So much for a good JW upbringing creating moral people.

• greendawn
    greendawn

However if he sincerely loves and seeks the best for that girl and he is not out to exploit her sexually and emotionally then he is doing nothing wrong. At the end of the day it's the motive that really counts.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

I think the issue here is more one of parental consent rather than the age of the girl. Susan was 18 when we married. Her older sister married in the Kingdom Hall aged 16 but needed parental approval ( this was in SA - as far from hill billy country as one can get).

It's interesting that the law has now changed so that to marry below 18 is tougher.

It seems the JW parents in this case just want to continue thier power trip over thier grown daughter. Roll on November.

unclebruce

• caligirl
    caligirl

The father moved in with the son and girlfriend to chaperone?? How strange. And how sad for the girl and the guy that they went back to all that crap! This girl was independent enough (not necessarily in a good way) to move in with someone at the age of 15, but was willing to submit to becoming a witness and having every private detail of her life invaded, her home disrupted and her future father in law move in with them? Doesn't make much sense to me, nor in my opinion is it a foundation for a lasting marriage even if it is granted.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Hey caligirl,

We used to have a joke about fathers like that. It went something like: all three would be sitting on the lounge (couch) together, the girls father in the middle. By holding hands the young couple could exchange love vibes though the conduit of the old man. (i shouldn't post when I'm tired)

unc.

• LDH
    LDH
    Stephanie Grabe is 17 and has applied to the Hobart Magistrates Court for permission to marry on religious grounds.

She and her fiance, Owen Gillbee, 25, are Jehovah's Witnesses and are not allowed to live together before they are married.

Outside court yesterday Owen's mother, Pam Gillbee, explained that the couple were trying to do the right thing.

"Surely the court would help them to do the right thing," she said

Yes, courts, please help this man marry my daughter that he's been porking since she's been 15. It's only right!

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

LOL at LDH - They're all mad! lol

• Frog
    Frog

OMG Dirk! I saw this front page of a newspaper as I passed a newstand today, but didn't bother picking up a copy of the Mercury because of their repuation for printing trash. I should've known it would involve some poor dub kid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit