OMG! They just blew up a 30 story building - and I saw the whole thing!

by Elsewhere 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

This morning at about 7:45 AM in Fort Worth Texas the Landmark Tower was demolished using controlled explosions... and I got to watch and feel it!

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/13813576.htm DAMN!

That was VERY impressive! It was a lot louder than I was expecting!

lol... when the first explosion went off I jumped a bit. There were quiet a few explosions, one after another, maybe about 1/5th of a second apart. They were powerful enough that I could feel them passing through my body... BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

I managed to get the whole thing on my 5 Mp camera even though they brought the building down 15 minutes early. I was very luck that I was testing and prepping my camera at the very moment it went down.

Sadly I was so fixated on operating my camera that I didn't watch the collapse with my own eyes... instead I saw the whole thing through my camera's display.

I just checked the quality of the pics and they are so-so... the low light mixed with a digital camera and no tripod resulted in a bunch of semi-blurry pics. I've got at least 80 or so of the entire collapse and dust cloud. I had my camera on rapid-fire so it was taking several shots per second.

If anyone has a place to host the pics, I'd be happy to email them to you so everyone can see them. I seem to be having problems accessing my website where I normally would put this.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Is that the building that was in the downtown area that had the windows blown out by a tornado ?

I recall seeing that building when I was there for a conference a couple of years ago.

Rub a Dub

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Ahhh... you are thinking about the Bank One building. Some developer managed to buy it and started renovating it. I don't know if anything ever came of it though.

The Landmark Tower is up the road a bit from the Bank One building. The Landmark Tower was an ugly 70's style building that was an eye sore.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Oh, ok.

I just thought it was really weird seeing such a tall building (50 or 60 floors) with boarded-up windows.

Rub a Dub

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Yeah, that Bank One building looked awful for several YEARS before anyone did anything about it. They came real close to collapsing it too.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

WOW! Thanks Elsewhere.

unc

ps: couldn't help playing with the Star Telegraph article:

APOSTATE TIMES ~ EXCLUSIVE

Landmark Tower could be imploded next month

Brooklyn — The demolition of a multi-story Landmark Tower in downtown Brooklyn has been set by the city

for April 1st and a raffle may decide who pushes the button to start the implosion, JWD officials said Tuesday.

But officials at watchtower Light, the building’s owner, say that date could change as the pre-demolition work proceeds.

“We’re not for sure yet,” said Danny Hazzard vice president of facilities. “This permit had to be filed, but it can be extended.

As the demolition proceeds, the date of it's last days is still being defined.”

By Uncle Bruce JWD - Staff Writer
  • Clam
    Clam
    “We’re not for sure yet,” said Danny Hazzard vice president of facilities.

ROFL !

• Trojan
    Trojan

Hi Else....

...glad you're having some fun! I don't have much time. I'm writing from some airport.....have you got my last PM? Need to talk to you. I thought you would follow this thread, so I posted this message here....

Trojan.

PS: I will be able to read your message in the next hour or so, after that I will catch my next plane and have to write from my next destination...Write you more on the PM system.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

APOSTATE TIMES ~ EXCLUSIVE

Landmark Tower could be imploded next month

Brooklyn — The demolition of a multi-story Landmark Tower in downtown Brooklyn has been set by the city

for April 1st and a raffle may decide who pushes the button to start the implosion, JWD officials said Tuesday.

As the demolition proceeds, the date of it's last days is still being defined.”
    By Uncle Bruce JWD - Staff Writer
    lmao@UB' s delightfully ironic, sarcastic, droll humor

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Elsewhere.....Ah, I had very much the same experience in 1994. I actually witnessed the destruction of not just the high-rise but also gradual destruction of four other buildings on the same block with the wrecking all. I took many pictures and videos over the four month period. One of the buildings was a classical-style building built in the 1920s, and I was there the first night the wrecking ball struck it....a big chunk of concrete flung from the building landed a few feet behind me, so the police had us spectators stand further away. I also took home quite a few decorative pieces of the building to use as book ends. Then they started prepping the high rise....I taped them installing the charges and dynamite on various floors and wrap them with black Kevlar cloth. I also watched them dig a moat around the building to help it fall into one pile. Then I came out the morning of the implosion with video camera and SLR, so like you I saw the implosion through the viewfinder of my camera....but what an experience that was. The sound of the exploding charges just hit me, and because of the angle I was viewing from (the side of the building), I wasn't able to hear the rat-a-tat sound of individual devices exploding along the length of the building but it came more as a big BOOM. And then it dropped straight down and a billowing cloud of concrete dust came snaking through the corridor of buildings. Because it was early morning, I have some pretty views of sunlight reflecting off other buildings through the concrete fog....

In addition to video I took, I have about 5 or 6 views of the same implosion I taped from the local news. I recently digitized them and watch them occasionally on my computer. Maybe I'll upload them to Google Video sometime. Then I watched the construction crews excavate the site for several floors of underground garage and then build a new high rise on the site for the next three years.

BTW, the implosion I went to was done by CDI. Was yours produced by CDI too? (They're the best in the business)

Here's a webpage I found on the implosion:

http://home1.gte.net/rhashiro/travel-hi/fh-center.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit