Meek inheriting the earth?

by dozy 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The first and last "beatitude" in Matthew clearly refer to the author's present, the middle seems to use language that could be intepreted as future however the context within the two framing sayings suggests that the author meant the future sense as imminent. IOW Since the Kingdom is here these honors/blesssings will be imminently given to those that understand the secret of the Kingdom. It is impossible however to draw sharp distinctions between passages that represent a realized eschatology from those that refer to future as the texts were likely written with ambiguity and may have subsequently been modified as later generations reinterpreted them.

The writer of Luke changes it all up and excludes this saying. Both writers were using the then popular practice of listing Blessings and/or Woes often in contrast. This technique is found in many intertestamental and Rabbinical texts. See for example 1 Enoch 99 and 2 Enoch 52.

• gumby
    gumby

Now let me ask YOU dozy....since your speaking of Matt Chap 5

Why did you pick verse 5 and not comment on verse 3, 8-10, and 12? Do you think Jesus was speaking of "two groups" or just one? Was he laying the foundation for a teaching that wouldn't be realised untill 1935 through the mouth of an alcoholic?

Gumby

• TopHat
    TopHat

Perhaps it means....those who are willing to humble themself and kneel before God to worship and obey him.

• cosmic
    cosmic

Its just another puffery of BS designed to sound good and mean nothing. You know, kind of like, "Whatever you ask in my name..." In the intergalactic dictionary, the second definition for "Human Being" is "slow learner".

• Star Moore
    Star Moore
    In the Greek New Testament, “meek” is from the Greek term praus. It does not suggest weakness; rather, it denotes strength brought under control. The ancient Greeks employed the term to describe a wild horse tamed to the bridle.

Dozy, this was really good about the article you sent us to. But meek also means humble..they forgot that. They also think the earth is being destroyed. Ps. 37:29 NIV "the righteous will inherit the land and dwell in it forever." So, I believe all groups of people who God deems good at heart will inherit the earth.. I believe the 'heavenly' ones will also be here but will have a closer relationship with God, that's all.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Psalm 37:10-11 basically states the same thing as Matt. 5:5. Can we imagine that the Psalmist was speaking prophetically of some future state on earth rather than then? I think not. He was speaking contemporaneously. It seems that the Jews believed that the meek would possess the Promised Land; it was a gift from God and not something they merited or acquired through conquest.

With Jesus, the inheritance moves from the Promised Land to the eschatalogical kingdom. And I don't think it meant living on earth forever. Scripture, it seems to me, says that the earthly is opposed to the heavenly and the heavenly is what we should seek. See John 3:31; 1 Cor. 15:45-47; Col. 3:2, Heb. 11:16 and 12:22-23, Gal. 4:26

• sf
    sf

dozy,

Go here and POSE(r) your question. Lot's of Christian convo going on here, brother:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ChristianWitnesses/

I dare ya!

sKally

• greendawn
    greendawn

According to the JW explanation the earth is not always the literal earth but mankind so the inheritors of the earth will be the inheritors of mankind. These are the fellow inheritors of Christ to whom he said if you conquer I will give you authority over the nations and you will dash them like vessels of clay.

I can see the JW interpretation in WT Aug 1 1959 is a very muddled one trying to fit the so called other sheep into the inheritors (who are the 144 000 according to the JWs another class) the point is that there are no two classes.

• mdb
    mdb

Meek: showing patience and humility,gentle; submissive.

Blessed are the meek,
    For they shall inherit the earth [land]. ~Matt 5:5 (direct ref. Ps 37:11)

But the meek shall inherit the earth,
    And shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace. ~Ps 37:11

"Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (Jn 14:27)

For the upright will dwell in the land,
    And the blameless will remain in it; ~Prov 2:21

When Israel became disobedient and turned to other gods, they were cast out from the land of promise, but when they again humbled themselves and turned back to God, they were restored to that same land. Those who walk in humility (meekness) before God will inherit the promise. The crossing of the Jordan to the promised land was an antitype of the crossing over from death unto life, inheriting the true promise which is by faith - eternal life and entrance into the kingdom of God. The meek will inherit the land of promise and rejoice. All the blessings in the beatitudes are non-physical. Why would the blessings of the meek be any different? In context, it does not make sense to conclude that the meek shall inherit a physical land or only a physical land (not that God does not physically bless). A temporal inheritance of the land is still not proof of a paradise earth. The Scriptures say that this earth shall pass away and that the elements will be melted with great heat.

The humble also shall increase their joy in the Lord,
    And the poor among men shall rejoice
    In the Holy One of Israel. ~Is 29:19

For the promise that he would be the heir of the world (Gen 17:4-6; 22:17) was not to Abraham or to his seed through the law, but through the righteousness of faith. ~Rom 4:13

“As for Me, behold, My covenant is with you, and you shall be a father of many nations. No longer shall your name be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for I have made you a father of many nations. I will make you exceedingly fruitful; and I will make nations of you, and kings shall come from you. ~Gen 17:4-6

blessing I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply your descendants as the stars of the heaven and as the sand which is on the seashore; and your descendants shall possess the gate of their enemies. ~Gen 22:17

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit