I"m BACK!!! from despair to victory

by Lady Lee 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

WARNING: the following contains a lot of techno-babble so if you hate it just know I got it working again and skip to the bottom

Ok first the computer crashed BIG TIME

Then I crashed trying to get it up and working again.

I quickly realized that I can be incredibly stupid sometimes. When I was unpacking I found a box of old diskettes that I never use anymore (some go back to DOS days and I had copied them all to cds so I tossed the box.Oops. It had my WinME boot disk in it. So a quick boot was out of the question.

My version of WinME just would not boot from the CD install program. I tried to boot from DOS and went nowhere. WinME was an update version from Win(* so I tried that boot disk. Nope not that either.

So I found an old hard drive with WinME and put that in the machine as the master drive and my crashed drive in as the slave. Well I got it booted but it refused to "see" the slave drive. sigh

Got another hard drive with Win98 installed on it. (sure am glad I kept these drives) I got that drive working and it could see the crashed drive but it couldn't see either of the cd drives. But I was able to transfer my WAB file (address book for my email) my Favorites so I still have all my wanderings on the net, and all the files I had in My Documents

After several tries I was able to format the C drive and then tried to install Win98 But it refused to install WinME I tried installing from DOS, from the CD - nothing It just refused to install.

Well I figured that if I was down to Win98 there wasn't much I could do. So I started to install the Sympatico interent service and WIN 98 just would not install it. It kept asking for drivers but wouldn't let me know which driver it wanted. I made several calls to Sympatico technicians and they couldn't figure it out.

So after a week of withdrawal from JWD and everything else I do on a computer I called my son-in-law and asked if he had a OS he wasn't using anymore. Yeah!!!!!! He had one and I just received it this morning. Installed the program then Sympatico and here I am.

I still don't have any programs installed and I still need to check to see if my other hard drive (with all my other saved files on it) so I have a bit of work to do with that - OK a LOT of work but at least I am back on line. My biggest fear right now is that I lost all the files I was working on for the BEST Of series (probably everything from Oct 2004)

The good thing is that I did a lot of knitting. A shrug, a scarf for my grand-daughter's birthday last week as well as half a sweater for next Christmas; a sweater and parka for my grandson; and half a cape and a pant and jacket set for my baby granddaughter.

• carla
    carla

Glad your back.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Glad to hear you're back! And you didn't even injure your feet from booting your computer! I know I would have ;)

• blondie
    blondie

You're a better woman than me, Lee.

I'm glad things are back up.

• luna2
    luna2

Welcome back, LadyLee! You sure know a lot more about computers than I do! I'm glad you got it all figured out. LOL

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

Right first thing you need to do is make a boot disk

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

*wha wha wha wha wha*

(as in Charlie Brown's teacher's voice)

I didn't understand much other than you're back and you did a lot of knitting when you were gone.

I'm glad you're back. Your presence was definitely missed!

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

YAY! You're back!

Computers are great when they work like they're supposed to, and soooooo frustrating when they don't! An exercise in patience, I've found....

Glad you're back up and running!

GGG

• Legolas
    Legolas

Welcome back!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

woohoooo! Welcome back LL!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit