Does WTBTS still own the _Phillips-Morris cigarette stock?

by lighthouse1956 19 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• lighthouse1956
    lighthouse1956

My wife was hopping mad about being df for smoking (and being told she would die at armageddon if she was not reinstated by the time it came. He actualy called her "wicked"). She quit smoking, got reinstated and never went back to the hall

We would like to know if they still hold the stocks.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

No they don't because they never OWNED it!!!!

They were the third-party beneficiary of the Trust established by a private party. The WTS had or has no say in the trust holdngs.

-Eduardo

• dozy
    dozy

Why do ex-witnesses / apostates who have left "the Truth bacause they feel that a certain doctrine or belief is untrue then resort to "porkies" to try to mislead others , like the Philip Morris lie? I always find this very puzzling. Why substitute falsehoods for falsehoods?

• TopHat
    TopHat

Why don't the WTS reject the money coming from a trust that owns stock in a tobacco company?

• rebel8
    rebel8

"Falsehoods", dozy? That is an exaggeration. Many people do not have a basic understanding of stocks. I can vouch for that since I'm one of them. Anyone who says they owned the stock is stating the facts in an oversimplified manner. That is far from lying.

You say you do not believe all/most ex-jws are liars, but your posts don't seem to bear that out.

As to Eduardo's post.....he has stated his opinion many times in countless threads on the tobacco topic. Then a handful of posters respond by saying, "The WTS should check into their investments and not invest in something that could lead to breaking their own rules. They require JWs to do that." And there is no defense to that.

I will post this, again:

By considering the background of a company, an investor can also ensure that his money will not be used to support an unethical enterprise.—See Awake! February 8, 1962, pages 21-3.
    Source: http://www.watchtower.org/library/g/2000/10/8a/article_01.htm
  • Legolas
    Legolas

No they don't because they never OWNED it!!!!

They were the third-party beneficiary of the Trust established by a private party. The WTS had or has no say in the trust holdngs.

-Eduardo

Ok just hold on there a second.....First, I am in trust for my childrens stock that they own ( that my father gave the kids when they where little) and I could have REFUSED to do that, and secondly I can sell that stock, thirdly do you really believe the that bullshit story that they, FOR OVER 14 -16 YEARS NEVER knew they had it?

BULLSHIT!..... I get in my mail quarterly checks from that stock yearly...Not to mention about 3-4 other pieces mail from it yearly!

• greendawn
    greendawn

Given the WTS's very strict standards to which they hold their members they should not accept any benefits from cigarette sales profits, the smoking of which will cost someone the opportunity for eternal life according to the WTS. They should set a good example for the R&F.

• carla
    carla

The WTS had or has no say in the trust holdngs. ------------Everybody has say in whether they accept money from a questionable source or not. Anybody can refuse money at any time there is always someone willing to take it!

If you were alive in WW2 and the Nazi's asked you if you would like some money would you accept it knowing it came from the skirt hems of murdered women and children? What if you didn't really know where it came from but had a pretty good idea? Would you just stick your head in the sand so you could say, 'I didn't know' and feel good about it?

Personally I don't have a problem with people owning stock in Phillip Morris unless they get on the anti smoking bandwagon and tell people they will be damned for smoking, then they better not own the stock or they will be called what they are, hypocrites.

• Honesty
  • Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I am with Rebel8. I do not feel it as black/white or as scandalous as some of you, but I agree it's not lying ( perhaps an oversimplification). I personally do not have an issue with it. If it is a 3rd party trust account, that trust account more than likely has a trust manager who invests the trust money. If it is invested in a large fund, again, you have no control over what stocks the fund manager chooses. That makes the control issue 3rd party and once removed...just not an issue with me.

I think people are responding to the WTBTS's general arrogance and judgemental attitude, and for that, they are 'reaping what they've sown'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit