Isaac Hayes quits South Park, apparently over Scientology episode

by DanTheMan 49 Replies latest social entertainment

• wombat
    wombat

I reckon that Chef will get his big salty chocolate balls caught in the mincer and come up with a different voice. Being an Aussie, I suggest Kylie Minogue.........

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I wonder if they'll bring back Mr. Derp? He was Chef's replacement when Chef decided to get married.

• undercover
    undercover
    I don't know if it has happened yet, but SOUTH PARK ought to arrange an especially gorey demise for Chef... perhaps cooking HIMSELF and serving himself in the school cafeteria.

Oh, I'm sure the creators of the show will plan an especially sarcastic episode dealing with the demise of Chef. Those guys love to stick to hypocrits.

I'm thinking Isaac Hayes probably got pressure from church leaders to make a stand since the Scientology episode was so popular but put them in a bad(or should I say 'worse') light. The church managed to not have it shown in the UK and Comedy Central has agreed to not rerun it.

If Hayes was so upset about it, why did he wait so long to quit? Why didn't he quit the week it was released? Why not quit before? I'm sure he knew long before any of us even saw the show what it was about.

Hayes credibility will take a hit from this. He was extremely popular again in concert after the show became a hit. He was introduced to a whole new generation of people. Now, this generation of people will discount him as some crazy cultist and he will fade away into obscurity once again.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    The church managed to not have it shown in the UK and Comedy Central has agreed to not rerun it

Actually, they have re-run it and according to the TV listings they will be showing it again on 3/15 and 3/16. I think the person who wrote the Rolling Stone article on Scientology that was posted on the board previously was confusing the Scientology episode with the Virgin Mary episode, which Comedy Central is not re-airing due to pressure from Catholic groups.

• undercover
    undercover
    Actually, they have re-run it and according to the TV listings they will be showing it again on 3/15 and 3/16. I think the person who wrote the Rolling Stone article on Scientology that was posted on the board previously was confusing the Scientology episode with the Virgin Mary episode, which Comedy Central is not re-airing due to pressure from Catholic groups.

Guess they got their cults mixed up...

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Well I'll be - the listings said "Trapped in the Closet" was going to be the 10:00 episode, but they're playing that old South Park film festival one with Mr. Hankey. DAMN!!

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Yup, it looks like they caved to the pressure. The on-screen program guide listed the Trapped in the Closet episode tonight but instead they ran the film festival. too bad

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

G0d, it's so disturbing that they wouldn't re-air this episode. Just because I'm paranoid about the USA becoming a land of where wealthy religious crackpots have a tremendous amount of control over what we see and hear doesn't mean that it ISN'T HAPPENING!!!

• james_woods
    james_woods

I just saw a website (and forgot to clip it) that claims Viacom caved in to a threat from Tom Cruise that he would boycott them from advertising spots for Mission Impossible 3. They apparantly own comedy channel.

Wouldn't it be just great to have this bunch rewriting the U.S. Constitution?

• daystar
    daystar

Comedy Centrals yanks a repeat showing of the Scientologist episode.

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun! Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!"

The duo signed the statement "Trey Parker and Matt Stone, servants of the dark lord Xenu."

Full story here - http://www.variety.com/VR1117939918.html

Gotta love those boys!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit