Isaac Hayes quits South Park, apparently over Scientology episode

by DanTheMan 49 Replies latest social entertainment

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Story Here

LOL, all the hell that that show has given to Xtians and Jews over the years, and he never batted an eye. Cultists are a sensitive lot ain't they?

• Highlander
    Highlander

wow,, everyone who watches south park knows that their motto is to make fun of everything and everyone. For him to take offense now is quite ridiculous.

• Princess
    Princess

"Religious beliefs are sacred to people, and at all times should be respected and honored," he continued. "As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

"South Park" co-creator Matt Stone responded sharply in an interview with The Associated Press Monday, saying, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology... He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."

I love Chef and will miss him, but come on..."I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices". This is a show about disrespecting beliefs and practices. That's what makes it so damn funny.

The Scientology episode was one of the funniest. "Tom Cruise won't come out of the closet!"

Rachel

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

I have to admit that was one of my favorite episodes!!! This is hard to believe!

Swalker

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Yeah Princess, I found that to be pretty incredible that he said that too. I mean, come on! They creamed the Mormons a couple of years ago just as bad if not worse than the recent Scientology episode.

• Highlander
    Highlander

that mormon episidoe was hilarious. I also remember an episode that involved people from all religions finding themselves in hell after death. They all

thought they had the right religion to get them into heaven and were shocked to find out it was only the mormons that chose the right religion.

I can tell they do their research, as there was a character that said he was a 'practicing jehovah's witness' and therefore should have made it to heaven.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I also remember an episode that involved people from all religions finding themselves in hell after death

Speaking of hell, that reminds me, I do recall that Chef was featured prominently in South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut - a movie that portrayed Satan as Saddam Hussein's abused gay lover, as he has been in several episodes. I wonder if Satanists took offense at that? LOL!

• Highlander
    Highlander

I don't know if it's nationwide, but here in california they air South Park on public tv at 11:00 and 11:30 pm mon - fri. This whole thread has me anxious for tonight's episodes.

• LDH
    LDH

I wonder if he got any "pressure" from up top. Kinda like the pressure Michael Jackson got when he made the Thriller video.

Ah, hell, Dave Chappell's looking for work.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I wonder if he got any "pressure" from up top

It's certainly not difficult to imagine, if they're as top-down as they appear to be, from what I know about them. The thing about Isaac Hayes is that, unlike high-profile dubs who seem to keep their religious affiliation pretty quiet (think Venus and Serena), Hollywood Scientologists like him apparently are expected to be outspoken champions of their religion, so it may have been an unspoken yet very understood pressure, if I read the dynamic of the Scientology cult correctly.

My favorite part of the episode was at the end, where the frustrated Scientologists start yelling "WE'LL SUE YOU!!" And then the closing credits, where everything is credited to John and Jane Doe. Trey and Matt are f*cking brilliant.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit