The false pride of a "Window Washer"

by LDH 44 Replies latest jw friends

• LuckyNun
    LuckyNun

LDH:

I understood the point you were trying to make. To think that people would doggedly continue at something, thinking the end was "just around the corner" and still believing that for years, decades, even. It's really sad, when you think about it. I worked in a factory for four years on the midnight shift, and finally quit because I KNEW I could do something better with my life. I take pride in a job well done, same as the next person, but I get seriously depressed if my mind isn't being stimulated by the work I do. To keep at something like that for years would have driven me insane.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Need to jump into underscore the point that LDH is trying to make.

First, I personally had no problem following your logic. You must be an Engineer too!

The point that she was trting to make is not that it is bad to clean up after people if that´s what you are good at, the point is that why do they try to ram it down the throat of other Dubs that cleaning johns or ¨loos¨somehow makes Jehovah a happy camper? I'll never forget at District the nutso Pioneer sister who stood up in front of everyone and proudly proclaimed that she only had two plates and two cups in her house because she was not "materialistic." People actually clapped for her! I saw her outside, stopped my convertible Ferrari 355i and complimented her on her speech.

I can't speak for God but I do know a number of Dubs who are absolutely miserable with their employment. I know one loyal Sister with 4 kids who washes dishes for a "living"and only has a roof over her head because of various Gov't giveaways. Another theme that is painfully common among Dubs is the missing Daddy syndrome. Look around at the next meeting and see it yourself. They aren't in the home either.

• LDH
    LDH
    there is absolutely no spiritual value at all. It's a farce.

Well put.

• LDH
    LDH
    To keep at something like that for years would have driven me insane.

Me too! The fact that many more janitors don't 'go insane' is testament to how deep-seated the "I'm doing valuable work for God" ideology is.

The human brain is amazing; coping for 30 years at a menial task because of the promised reward--unbelievable.

I'll never forget at District the nutso Pioneer sister who stood up in front of everyone and proudly proclaimed that she only had two plates and two cups in her house because she was not "materialistic"

It is bizarre that these people hold nut-jobs up as an example to follow. Even worse, the audience doesn't notice that said person is a 'nut.'

UR, did I mention that I Loves ya?

Lisa

• LDH
    LDH
    How is having pride in being able to clean a window "false"?

I just saw this Daniel -p. The "false" part comes in when you think that you're giving glory to God. There is honor in doing any job well, but not if you're under some delusion about the result of said job.

The end result of being a good window cleaner is that the windows look great for a couple of weeks--NOT "Life without end at last in a paradise earth."

Lisa

Realist Class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit