The false pride of a "Window Washer"

by LDH 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary
    I do this sort of work. £25 an hour, I work 35 hours per week. Its not a bad way to earn a living actually.

Hang on here........you're making £25 an hour (which is like $50.00/hour Cdn) cleaning?!! Holy crap, where do I sign up??!! Around here, cleanings not paid very well at all-----average cleaning wage is about $10.00 - $12.00/hr..........who on earth pays 50 bucks an hour to clean??!! The Queen??! Please give me their names, cause I'll certainly grab a mop and broom for that kind of money!!!

• ballistic
    ballistic

Mary, when I used to do it, a long time ago now, it was self employed. You don't have a middle man (employer) taking his cut.

In English money, this would be about £7.50 a house, you can do three in an hour, so yes, the figures do work out.

Although you do have to account for the fact you are not paid when the weather is too bad (window cleaning) or when you take a vacation.

And when I'd had enough, I sold the business.

• Mary
    Mary

In English money, this would be about £7.50 a house, you can do three in an hour, so yes, the figures do work out.

You can clean 3 houses in an hour?! Do you wear a red cape?

Cause I sure as hell couldn't clean that fast, even if I had bionic arms and legs!

• ballistic
    ballistic

haha! I never forget the day I lost a customer because I cleaned their windows too quick. I went back and looked and they were spotless right into all the corners as well. I reminded her I had a "free re-clean if unsatisfied policy" - which had never been used. I tried to slow down after that and started accepting offers for cups of tea.

• LDH
    LDH
    Lisa, you are out of line. First, it's not cool to "name names" in a forum like this. Ken and Debbie M. would have been enough. Secondly, Ken and Debbie are two of the absolute nicest, most humble people I've had the pleasure of knowing. I believe you're joking with the Merrill Lynch comment, and it's extremely poor taste.

Silent,

1. Of course I'm joking with the Merrill Lynch comment.
    2. When did I say Ken and Debbie weren't nice? I actually gave a complement about the way Debbie killed two birds with one stone. I also stated that they intentionally had low expenses in order to Regular Pioneer, the BOTH of them. That is something that is highly regarded in JW land.
    3. I mentioned Jim Smith's name too--you didn't have problem with that. I even mentioned that he had a cleaning business that I worked for, for years! I guess Jim isn't one of the 'absolute nicest, most humble people' you've had the pleasure of knowing.
    4. Blurt out your name on this board. I have known your online identity for years now, or did you forget you corresponded with me several years ago?
    5. While I appreciate that Ken and Debby *certainly* have tried to do the right thing in JW land, nothing opens your eyes more than spending countless days and hours selling useless ragazines while in someone's company.

The point of the thread isn't whether window washing is an honorable job. ANY productive job is honorable. What we're talking about here is cognitive dissonance. In other words, a job is a job. It's not a "fine witness" to Jehovah anymore than being a computer technician is. "Window Cleaning Skillz" will not be any more desireable than, say, "Network Engineer Skillz" in the imagined frontier of paradise.

Lisa

• LDH
    LDH

Ballistic, please tell me you don't mean you can clean 3 English houses in an hour?!?!?! OMG they must be the size of postage stamps, and all next door to each other.

When my sister and I cleaned house, and we worked quickly, it took 2 hours to scrub each house. We're not talking "Molly Maid" quick cleaning, we are talking real honest to goodness clean. I think each home was approx 3,000 square feet, about the size of my current home. It takes me 4 hours to clean it!

• ballistic
    ballistic

We're talking window cleaning, yes? What I call a typical English house is 2 up 2 down. That's 4 windows at the front, 4 at the back and maybe a couple at the sides. And yes, most English houses are right next to each other or semi-detached. Space is an issue here. As is the property market!

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    you can clean 3 English houses in an hour?!?!?!

Ballistic probably is talking about the windows in the houses, only.....

GGG

• Mary
    Mary
    I never forget the day I lost a customer because I cleaned their windows too quick

OK, I got ya....you're cleaning the windows.........I thought you meant you were dusting, vacuuming, scrubbing, etc. each room in the house............

As for the window cleaners----well, I'm glad someone can do it. Because I'm scared shitless of heights and you couldn't get me to do that job for $200.00/hr........

• ballistic
    ballistic

Well, the title of the thread is "Window Washer" guys! come on now! Mary you can pay me 200$ to clean toilets! Mine I just throw a stick of dynamite in the pan and quickly shut the lid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit