Hello, I'm new here

by debbiedebbie 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• greendawn
    greendawn

Welcome to the forum, it's a mistake that many ex JWS make the thought that all religious organisations are controling but that's not the case some are and some are not one has to choose carefully, but some don't want to get involved with any religion after the JW experience.

I personally got involved with an evangelical group for a while that couldn't have been more different than the JWs.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Welcome to the board!

I agree with Codeblue.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Thanks, LDH. The ironic thing is that I am a Sunday School teacher to five year olds at my local church, and half my suggestions above are from Christian sources. I love church and the sense of community.

For an exited JW, however, why the rush? Your trust in organized authority may be permanently damaged. I do strongly believe a child is best off getting strong guidance from their parents on what is important in life. Some do this by going to church. For a parent alone, I think they DO have to spend some time examining their personal values and developing a program of transferring those core beliefs to their children.

Even though MOST of what a child learns is by example.

• Cellist
    Cellist

Hi DebbieDebbie. Welcome to the board. Why are you worried about your child going to church? Completely unneccessary in my opinion.

Cellist

• Hawkeye
    Hawkeye

Welcome Debbie-

I wouldn't worry too much about the church thing. You can teach your child the bible stories yourself. Join the YMCA. they have lots of good programs. When your child gets older and can better understand about JW's tell your child what you experienced and why they are wrong. My girls are now 14 and they understand enough that the JW's were WEIRD!

Hawk

• delilah
    delilah

Welcome, Debbie. You have had lots of excellent responses here, so the only thing that I'd add, is, "Who better to raise and teach your child, than YOU, the parent?" If you go to church and stare off, your child will see that, and she won't be any more interested in sitting there either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit