evps what do you think?

by BlackSwan of Memphis 22 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Ok, I really love ghost hunters. One of my favorite shows.

I think for me the possibility of whether or not there is something after this life is largely dependent on the prescence of God/dess or some other greater being in the universe. (that can be a thread in itself I realize, but if you'd like to comment on it go for it)

So, after the last few weeks of watching marathons of GhostHunters and after some of the conversations I've been having with people, I started googling ghost pics and evps the other night and came up with some interesting sites.

But... then I start trying to look at things from a more skeptical viewpoint.

Aside from the obvious possiblity of hoax, I was wondering what other possibilities are out there for evps to exist.

Any thoughts?

meagan

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    Aside from the obvious possiblity of hoax, I was wondering what other possibilities are out there for evps to exist

G'day meagan,

I haven't seen the tv show you've been watching. And of course hoaxes and less verifiable reports are the first things we should discount if seeking a so called rational explanation for the 'super natural'. Once we have recieved proof and/or accepted that all such things are possible we can pick and choose to believe what we like from a position of knowledge.

Our view of what is supernatural is slowly narrowing as much of the knowledge and 'wisdom' of witches and ocultists gets accepted into the mainstream (power of electricity, belief in partical waves, programmed crystals, hypnotism etc.. are now accepted even by the most straight jacketed of mainstream 'experts').

Looking for proof is of spirits is a personal journey best done in company. If one man sees something, he'll never really know if he's hallucinating but if two or more witness the same event and even capture the effect on a recording devise .. well here we get into the area of verifiable proof.

In short I have experienced spirit activity. Powerful, independently verified activity along with what many consider to be hard evidence. The funny thing is that I was a total sceptic at the time spirit activity started and played/inter reacted with them/it and continue to question every aspect of the spirit activity that happens around my forest home. Some things can be put down to the magnetic anomoly here but others are way too corny and bizzare (eg. the borrowers).

I can't agree that these things have anything what so ever to do with some illusory sky god from outer space or offer any evidence that there is a master string puller somewhere high above.

cheers, unclebruce

ps: hope thev above makes some sense. It's bedtime for this bozo.

epvs? extra perverted vampire spirits? I can't find where you've expanded on this term (when introducing a new acronym it's standard practice to write it out long hand once).

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    epvs? extra perverted vampire spirits? I can't find where you've expanded on this term (when introducing a new acronym it's standard practice to write it out long hand once).

oops sorry:

electronic voice phenomena (being able to record some sort of voice; white noise)

I enjoyed your thoughts. I think that much of what you said is what I've gone back and forth on.

There are things that science can just outright explain in some manner.

I hear of many who were once die hard skeptics of anything paranormal, until something happens to them.

On one hand I would love for something that I can't explain to just happen, on the other, those could be words that I would regret saying.

Ok: so where did the spirit come from? How does a human body get a spirit without a sky god? (I like the term) If who we are comes from our dna then how does who we are become spirit? (I am probably incorrectly assuming that you mean spirit as in spirit of a human rather then non human entity)

meagan

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

evps?

not quite sure what that means....

I have really given up on the belief of *ghosts* or spirit creatures altogether. I would actually love it if I could have an experience like Uncle Bruce. That is about the only thing that would make me start to believe there is something beyond this life, which would be a comforting thought and experience to me. I've watched some of the ghost shows and I really have a skeptical eye on those things. I really have trouble believing and understanding something unless I've experience it first hand. I grew up in REALLY old houses. Houses that were part of the underground railroad, houses that had many people die in them, etc. I always felt like I would have had an experience in a place like that. One time I even went to the old slave graveyard near the old house where I lived and sat among the graves and tried to *experience* something. nothing happened.

I suppose I'm too realistic. I suppose I am just too skeptical at this point in my life to accept anything that I can't have hard evidence for.

the shows are great fun to watch though!

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Hi fl,

I agree with you, I would love to have an experience like uncle bruce's. Something unexplainable.

I think that 30 years in the org has left me growing more skeptical with each day.

Here is a link for evps.

http://theshadowlands.net/ghostwav.htm

Not sure myself. As ub brought out there are various reasons that can explain some things.

meagan

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    Ok: so where did the spirit come from? How does a human body get a spirit without a sky god? (I like the term) If who we are comes from our dna then how does who we are become spirit? (I am probably incorrectly assuming that you mean spirit as in spirit of a human rather then non human entity)

Wonderful question meagan,

When I say "spirit activity" I am talking about a wide range of two way inter reactive activity from brick sized tumbling rocks of fire passing over just above tree height (100ft ) to spirit photos (might post them one day) to inanimate objects disappearing and reappearing later, to a traditional aboriginal spirit welcome to a whole lot of inter reactive stuff that seems to happen when a lot of happy energy is here at family gatherings. I've posted about much of this before.

As for 'where spirit comes from' that I see as a very different but related question. If I knew the answer to that I wouldn't be working for a living. When I was a boy my father put a wheat seed in my hand and asked “how can this seed grow? It is dead. Completely dead and it can't grow unless all signs of life leave it first. So what happens when this dry dead object is put in moist warm soil? Does some kind of spirit enter and spark it into life?'

buggered if I know, unclebruce

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

Uncle Bruce - I want to come to one of your family gatherings!

I would love to see with my own eyes something like that......

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

G'day freedomlover,

I truly believe that things happen at times when you need them. As I say I was very sceptical and still am in the sense of going beyond the facts of an even (speculation is good of course but I won't be drawn into forming any kind of belief system around events that happen).

Here is an example:

When my (ex) wife and I first came to our forest block (see my pics thread) straight away I felt a presence but being at that time an atheist (that period of my life lasted all of 3months) was dismissive but told susan, while inspecting the entrance to one of the mines, that out of my peripheral vision i could see an old short stocky man with a rope belt who was smiling and nodding as I spoke. Anyway to cut things short Susan went to a tarot reader who said that susan had bought a presence with her an old man just as I'd described. (of course this could have been thought transference as explained by Jung) but I doubt it in light of later events.

Now Susan is practically unique in that she is highly intelligent and never gives a psychic or tarot reader any clues to hook onto (her rural Yorkshire genes made her mentally very tough - I'd hate to be interrogating her or giving her a reading). The reader said Susan should ask him questions which she did.

He answered that his name was Jack and that he was our neighbour and lived near an orange grove in a field of yellow flowers. Now that sounded impossible in our section of Tanja State Forest.

Knowing I'd “take the piss” Susan never said a word of any of this to me. A few months later we went for a hike and came to clearing filled with yellow flowers and old orange trees. There were also the remains of a stone chimney and a recently demolished old cabin.

OK later I meet the current owner a big ex army commando Rob who gives me his business card. The card went missing from my pick-up. I couldn't find it any where and got stressed about it. When I left for work Susan talked to Jack and said he should put back all the things he'd taken because it was causing trouble. Well I got to the job and the card suddenly appeared on the dash of my car where I'd left it.

When I got home I held up the card saying to Susan”this is impossible!” ... Susan took me by the hand , sat me down and told me about Jack (the friendly ghost lol ..oops). OK Next trip down there (450k south of Sydney) with me promising to be good and not stir up Jack. The sun was setting, I had the campfire and bbq going ready for a night under the stars and as I put the sausages on the bbq I called out top Susan “PUT ONE ON FOR JACK SHALL I?” well at that the sausage rose off the barby and did a loop to my right and disappeared (i have very fast reactions but couldn't catch it). Well I'm not tight but I had us searching everywhere for that sausage. When we went to bed I thought well, I saw that but It doesn't prove much and a night creature will eat it anyway. The next day i pulled the hibashi apart and at the bottom was the sausage. Somehow it went though solid cast iron.

That night marked the beginning of a wonderful journey into the unknown.

unclebruce

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

Hello, I'm newly left Wt person, as you know.. Don't believe in dead people visiting us at this point. So to me, it would be either, angels, demons or ET's. But definately believe in the spirit world..

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

~~~~ fair enough Star Moore but does the spirit world believe in you ~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~ or me or anything ~~~~~~~~

I wish Clam was here

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit