Say hello to the new guy

by osmosis 37 Replies latest jw friends

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Hey Rob my man! Gotta love those atheists! They're never afraid of getting into a good debate By the way:

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Welcome Robert! I'm from Toronto. Never been to the west coast. Hope to make it there one day. Enjoy your stay here at jwd.
    tall penguin

• Honesty
    Honesty

Hello and welcome, Robert.

I also was stuck for almost 3 years between worlds. Still a JW in name but inactive and believing in the WACKTOWER Truthâ„¢.

Now I'm free.

Bob Evans

Walland, TN.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi Robert, welcome to the forum!

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Hi, and welcome. We like it here.

• Dimples
    Dimples

Welcome Robert!

Dimples

• osmosis
    osmosis

Since I started researching JW stuff, I have seen many new and fascinating things, quite a lot of it surprising to me.. C.T. Russel's odd pyramid superstitions, the masonic connection, the adventist "cousins", william smith, the great disappointment, the wackos at waco.. all strange and decidedly occult. But never, in any of my wildest imaginations did it occur to me that googling "jehovah's witness" would lead to a group of cool people like this. Never.

Thank you for welcoming me, I think I like it here.

jgnat: Yes it would be way cool IF I could break them out of it, but it's like a bad habit they're in denial of(I keep wanting to snap my fingers in front of their faces and go "hello?!"). While my dad is in limbo (seems like purgatory sometimes) my aunt, her brother and husband are happy, devout, at-your-door JWs who claim spiritual fulfillment and have no apparent reason to give anything I say any credence over their beliefs. I've got a lot on my plate here, as you can well imagine. If I could budge my dad an inch in the right direction I'd be impressed, and he's the easy one.

Or is he? I'm not sure, sometimes I think he got the worst deal of all.. he got the mental cripple but not the fulfillment. Although he doesn't *generally* talk their talk or espouse their ideas, I've seen it in there. More troubling is that they were born into it and the thought patterns are so deeply entrenched.

Perhaps he's not the easy one of them though. Perhaps being neither here nor there is easier to rationalize than being an active, no blood card carrying, door-to-door-bot. They DO have the capacity to reason, sometimes. Maybe the ones who have gone WAY over the line are more off balance and therefore in the weakest position.. sort of an aikido philosophy there.. lol

Balsam: I've been talking about some of the stuff I've learned and I've made a little progress. and by little I mean little. I have great respect and fear for their capacity to ignore even the most basic rules of logic. I've gotten them to at least recognize their own history, but they give me some BS concerning "the light of truth". I know it's their rhetoric so there's no explanation necessary. I think I'll lay off for a bit, let it mellow a while, then maybe hit them with some kind of unexpected logic.

Maybe if their guard is down and I do it very carefully I can slip the logic in there while they're looking the other way. I believe that by informing them of their history, and getting them to produce a rationalization, I have laid the groundwork. Their explanation that "hey, we're allowed to change our minds" might be reasonable at face value, but not in the context of "the one and only true religion" of an unchanging bible!

• Es
    Es

Welcome!!!!

Enjoy your stay

es

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit