Bible Studies that left the JWs before baptism

by greendawn 19 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

Many persons studying with the JWs go ahead and get baptised, but many others do not, do you know such ppl and the reasons they gave for stopping contact with the JWs? They did of course the right thing and spared themselves a lot of potential trouble and exploitation in the future.

A person I knew gave up all contact with the dubs after a year of studying with them, because she found them to be too pharisaic they put a lot of demands on the members but don't do anything to help them, like modern day Pharisees. And she said that when in a KH she felt that she was in a Jewish synagogue, the ambience did not feel Christian but Judaic.

• hubert
    hubert

Given the experience I had with my two daughters "talking" with their j.w. aunt a few years back, I would say that any "studying" with a j.w. will have lasting effect on their thinking when it comes to getting back into the religion that they came from before studying with the j.w.'s.

At that time, neither came close to being baptized, but both were affected by what they were being taught, contradictory to the teachings that they were brought up in. I'm not sure why they stopped, I think at the time, they knew it was very upsetting for my wife, (and me), and they didn't want her to become ill over it.

Hubert

• snarf
    snarf

I left before I got baptized, studied regularly for two years and attended meetings, conventions, assemblies and even went to parties the witnessess threw and once to New York to see Bethel. I guess my eyes were opened up to alot of hypocrasy, ( I came in under a very weird circumstance) and because of what was going on, I left before anymore mindgames could be played with me.

• aniron
    aniron

According to the latest report there are over 6 million Bible studies going on during 2004-2005 service year.

Yet there was only 247,631 baptised during that period.

Of course many of the studies will be with the children of JW's. I never used to bother putting a report in for having a study with my children. But the service overseer told me to put one in for each of them. He said that way it looked good for me on my record card and for the congregation that so many studies where being done.

The congregation used to have about on average 20 studies reported. But we only ever seemed to have between 4-5 baptised in a year.

You would see studies come to the Sunday meeting for a while, then just disappear.

• serendipity
    serendipity

The one Bible study I had didn't get baptized. She said that she didn't like the treatment of women and that living forever in Paradise would be boring. I understood the former, but not the latter.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I regularly started studies whilst pioneering. Most just let it slip after 4 or 5 studies, the novelty wore off. I knew the first few chapters of the Live Forever book off by heart.

I studied with a number of professors and uni students. Some stopped after a year or so, just could not be convinced in God or the F&D slave concept. I am sure all of these saw through it so no lasting damage. Of course the response from the cong was that they were too proud, too materialistic or some other excuse. It is always assumed everyone knows it is the truth, just not good enough people to want to be part of it.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's great to have that power of insight that let's one intuit what's really going on in a place despite what is being said, then a lot of trouble can be avoided such as the one that many Bible studies that went on to become JWs have experienced.

As for the JWs they will always see things according to their mind conditioning, that anyone not coming in is spiritually substandard whereas in fact they are the ones repelling them with their substandard behaviour.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    The one Bible study I had didn't get baptized. She said that she didn't like the treatment of women and that living forever in Paradise would be boring. I understood the former, but not the latter.

I just accepted the treatment of women never having known any better - however I always had at the back of my mind that living forever with no decent music and no movies or books would be a fate worst than death - I never wanted to go to paradise.

• Ellie
    Ellie

I sort of fall into this category, I was brought up a witness till I was about 11, then my dad was disfellowshipped and my mum disassociated herself, but since then I've studied on and off for years, but I was actually dumped by the woman who was last studying with me, she must have just lost interest, I was even going to most meetings and assemblies, but one day I cancelled my study because I was sick, and then she never bothered to contact me again, I went around to her housea few times and she was not very welcoming, I don't know what happened there, but shes a devout witness, not like she was trying to fade or anything (shes my half sister too by the way).

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    ...however I always had at the back of my mind that living forever with no decent music and no movies or books would be a fate worst than death - I never wanted to go to paradise.

Too right crumpet. I think that JW doctrine related to 'life on a paradise earthâ„¢' is constructed loosely enough that each individual creates an image of paradise to their own liking. For some it might mean spending the rest of their life sewing national dress, for others it is a fruit pickers paradise .. watchtower pics never show any signs of hierarchy as if the entrenched jw class system would magically disappear as soon as the blood dried in the streets.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit