Noah's Ark - Close to being found? What effects would it have?

by Jourles 40 Replies latest social current

• startingover
    startingover

If it was found, and the floor is still intact and was covered with sh*t that could be traced to animals, I would have to reevaluate things. But the floor would have to be covered, and I mean covered, otherwise it may not be the real McCoy as JH questioned.

• james_woods
    james_woods

We could radio-carbon date it and see if it matched the society or Usher's date: 2349 BC.???

Wait, the JWs would never accept a radio-carbon date. Well, they could measure it and make sure it was rectangular.

If it were boat-shaped it would have to be a trick of Babylon the Great.

You know, if I had been Noah - I think I would have recycled the thing for building materials. Seems like a lot of work went down to just abandon it.

Of course, word has it that he got pretty drunk post-flood.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Jourles:

Besides, would a country with a Muslim population of 99% really want a Christian relic unearthed? If I were them, I wouldn't.

It would be as much a Muslim relic as a Christian one. Noah is considered a prophet in Islam.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I think this is just seeking publicity through sensationalism in the same way that Ron Wyatt did, but just about every "discovery" he made was discredited including his discovery of the ark of Noah. Not likely to have survived exposed on a mountain for 4000 years.

• Clam
    Clam

Anyone know where this is? I’ve been told it was the original site where Lot’s Wife™ was turned into a column of salt. You know, just outside Sodom.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

According to geology there was a large localized flood around the red sea area around 5000 years ago. Maybe a guy built a vessel and saved some of his farm animals and livestock and over time the myth grew up about Noah. Sometimes folklore is based on a tiny bit of truth. Even if a vessel was found it doesn't change the fact that a global flood described in the bible is a geological impossibility.
    A Dr Morris who is a leading creationist but actually has bona fide scientific credentials unlike most creation scientists, has already been to the site pictured numerous times and has never come back with a jot of evidence.
    To me it's akin to the face on Mars debate in that it gets a lot of people excited who have already made up their mind it's fact and desperately want it to be true that either there was an enormous ark full of animals or little green men on Mars.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Jourles:
    Stick to your guns and don't let them barrack you down with the "myth" line. You asked a genuine question about what effect it would have on individuals. It seems that most want to avoid the original question and just mock.

As a philosophical/sociological question it's an interesting one.

Personally it wouldn't put me up nor down. My faith isn't based on the story, be it entirely myth or with an element of fact (surrounding a more likely regionalised flood).

If they happened to find a big ancient boat halfway up a mountain it would raise all sorts of interesting questions, like how it got there, and what changes had occured to the landscape in the intervening years. However the piles of cack thang is a diversion as most boats have been used to transport livestock and it would no doubt have been eaten by millions of bugs in the meantime.

• dvw
    dvw

if an ark was found and proven to be made out of the wood as described in the bible (gopher wood, shittem wood? i dont remember) i would at the very least re-think some of my views. although, i think there is probably a better chance of finding bigfoot or leprechauns.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Even if it was found...

It wouldn't change the fact that the Dubs are whacked!!!

u/d

• startingover
    startingover
    However the piles of cack thang is a diversion as most boats have been used to transport livestock and it would no doubt have been eaten by millions of bugs in the meantime.

Not if frozen and encrusted in ice and snow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit