Noah's Ark - Close to being found? What effects would it have?

by Jourles 40 Replies latest social current

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

If they were to find the ark tommorrow, have it bronzed (like some have done with their childrens baby shoes) and put it in the Macy's Day parade, as well as the Tournament of Roses Parade. I'd be inclined to say people would go "hey look they found it", big deal, then continue to eat the Big Macs & fries.

Dismembered

• Jourles
    Jourles

Remember Ötzi? He was well preserved in the ice and snow. Not bad considering they dated him to around 3300 BC(prior to the flood). If they found him on a glacier, still intact, isn't it entirely possible that a 600 foot long boat could still be partially intact as well?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96tzi_the_Iceman

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Just another boat to me.

Want my "spirituality" to strengthen? Show me Jesus.

Brooke

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Jourles:

If they found him on a glacier, still intact, isn't it entirely possible that a 600 foot long boat could still be partially intact as well?

In principle yes, but it would never have been seaworthy. Maybe it's sitting at the bottom of an ocean somewhere along with Noah and the 20 or so types of animal he thought existed.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Excellent point about the iceman mummy. Did it suddenly convice the society that people lived in Europe prior to their date for the flood? And his body could hardly have survived with all the tools, charms, and arrowpoints if the flood had washed over him later.

This Oetzi is a fossil of reality. They choose to not believe it.

Ark is a "fossil" of failed expeditions and tabloid legend. They choose to believe it completely.

Maybe we should also ask "what would happen if they revealed the UFO in area 51"?

I think most people would find a way to agree or deny based on their prejudices. Just like the WTS and Oetzi.

James

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    If they found it, how would we know it's the real Mccoy?

Easy... they would find bull sht everywhere they look.

• happyout
    happyout

"I think most people would find a way to agree or deny based on their prejudices." - Good point, James Woods

Personally, I would find it fascinating, but it wouldn't be enough to change my beliefs. I would follow the story with extreme interest, but it would be out of curiosity, not because my world had been rocked.

Happyout

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

If the Ark were ever found I think it would confirm evidence of a sizable but local flood in the region which is probably the generative episode behind the Noachian Flood legend - assuming of course that such a thing ever existed. I think that only bits of it would ever be found not large structures of it.

Not sure why people are objecting to elephants in particular and commenting about the difficulty of their traversing from such heights. How tall are the Alps? Didn't Hannabal bring several of them over those.

The problems are not with the possibilities of the story but with the story of the possibilities. Most Christians including Jehovah's Witnesses fail to understand that the Noachian Flood story is still relevant in its meaning for humankind regardless of whether it is pure mythology or more probably cultural legend based upon historic events of a powerful local event.

-Eduardo

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Clam what's with the rock penis? weird. looks like one of the state parks or national parks in Utah, Nevada or possibly Arizona.

-ed

• JH
    JH
    Just another boat to me.

Yeah, the love boat.

OK, If they found Noah's ark, I'd know for sure that there was a flood, and that the bible is right about this. Well, Jesus talked about this too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit