New Wine in Old Wineskin's - Watchtower Updates its Lies

by unclebruce 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Very nicely done, Uncle Bruce! Thank you!

• Carmel
    Carmel

Hey brucy, do you have a day job?

carm

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

The Original Lie: The WBTS’s second president, Judge Rutherford, gave a series of lectures starting in February 1918 titled "Millions Now Living Will Never Die". 1975 Yearbook of JWs p.127; The Watchtower 1979 October 1 p.26; Revelation - Its Grand Climax At Hand! 1988 p.173 . Mr J Rutherford also wrote a book in 1920 of the same title and essentially the same message.

The message was that the ancient "worthies" mentioned in the Bible such as Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, etc.. would return in physical form to Earth in 1925 to take charge of the affairs of Earth and paradise on Earth would then start.

The New Lie: Despite the fiasco when none of this happened the WBTS now says that the lectures and the book were "based on the Bible" and "fulfilled Bible prophecies". The WTS also implies that the lectures and book were titled "Millions Now Living May Never Die". Awake! 1990 April 22 pp. 6-7.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Actually, this is one where you are erring a bit - it was originally named "MAY", but after a rather short while it was changed to "WILL", and the 1990 reference is just about the only one referring to the original title, all other referaences made are to the later "WILL" title, so in this one point you are not 100 % correct.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Thanks for collecting all those together....there are many, many others to be sure....

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    The New Lie: The Society now claims that the house was built for Bro. Rutherford because he was ill and needed to be in a different climate and that someone donated $75,000 to build it and that the WBTS had nothing to do with it. 1975 Yearbook of JWs p.194.

Actually, this is probably close to the truth....the "princes" rationale was most likely a justification for the building's existence....I don't buy the last part about "the WBTS having nothing to do with it," of course.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Sure do Carmel - I have two paid jobs but spent most of last week in office with pulled back muscle. I have a growing maintenance business and a skylight manufacture/installation business set up almost ready to go. Why, you want a job? Yesterday was my first day back on the tools - 8am -10pm restoring an old railway carriage.

unc who has a day job, a night job, a welding course to attend, a property to develop and some internet posts to enjoy. Good thing I quit uni and my volunteer jobs.

Now what about you Carmel, fess up .. you planting flowers on sacred sites?

• Clam
    Clam
    "Millions now living will never die.", uh wait a minute, uh, try this, "Millions Now Living May Never Die.", no, that's not quite it either, I know, "Millions now living have the opportunity to gain everlasting life in a righteous new system." Yeah, yeah, that's it.

LOL, they need to come from a different angle. Billions Now Living Will Hopefully Soon Be Dead

• Scully
    Scully

"And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed—if all records told the same tale—then the lie passed into history and became truth. 'Who controls the past' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.'" —pg 32

"Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. In this way every prediction made by the Party could be shown by documentary evidence to have been correct; nor was any item of news, or any expression of opinion, which conflicted with the needs of the moment, ever allowed to remain on record. All history was a palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary." —pg 36

From George Orwell's "1984".

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Hey Scully I've often wondered if Rutherford used 1984 as a guide. I know it's not likely but it is scary to compare this 'fiction' with Watchtower reality. It's a shame that in spite of George Orwell being on the high school curriculum here it doesn't have the effect on JW's that one would hope. For me alarm bells started ringing the moment I saw Animal Farm in 1972. I used to mention it now and then to other dubs but .. nothing, zero zilch .. be better off discussing horticulture with a dead horse.

• Scully
    Scully

Howdy UncleBruce

"1984" was required reading in my high school (circa 1978) - it definitely set alarm bells off for me. It wasn't long afterward that I entered my Rebellious Phase™ as a teenager. Unfortunately, they managed to re-assimilate me within a couple of years... but I never forgot the eerie similarities between what the WTS said about 1975, in particular, after their Prophecies™ failed to materialize and what was described in "1984".

Here are a couple more lovely quotes:

"If there was hope, it must lie in the proles, because only there, in those swarming disregarded masses, eighty-five percent of the population of Oceania, could the force to destroy the Party ever be generated." —pg 6
    "Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they they have rebelled they cannot become conscious." —pg 61, referring to the proles

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit