Just how hyped was 1975?

by MuadDib 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

All I can tell you is what I saw and heard. In our congregation and at the assemblies we attended it was very much the buzz, it was on the tip of everyone's tongue, speculation was rampant, everyone was holding their breath, the tension was electric. Every news story that came out was disected for signs that "this is it". Frankly, as a child I lived in terror for the whole year.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Read for yourself this article from the October 8, 1966 Awake!, entitled "How Much Longer Will It Be?" This sort of stuff really fanned the flames.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Wasn't "stay alive until '75" the battlecry of die hard JW's...

Oh course the GB turned around and said that Jehovah did it because he was sifting his organization...

• Berean
    Berean

There were always the things published that the Society could backpedal on, where they could claim "yes, but we said" in the multitude of writings from the Society that provided an excuse.

It was hyped through the unwritten "outlet" -in other words, through the verbal communications that the Society developed which came through DO and CO (whatever they were called at the time).

Taking into consideration what was said, everyone knew what was then being referred to in the written material, even if they didn't come out and say it in plain language.

Anyone that was around at the time, and says that the Society didn't hype 1975 is a liar - or the most obtuse person alive.

Berean (around at the time, and knows what happened)

• garybuss
  • blondie
    blondie

I was in my late teens and early 20's during that period. It depended on the individual and the area. I did not buy into it at all but found it was prudent not to say much. I knew other individuals that did the same. I found that many areas in the Midwestern US were less flamboyant in their interpretation. At the time I did not know about the 1925 debacle since it was only covered in an out of date publication. I didn't see anyone selling their houses or not getting medical or dental care but I did see people with some strong expectations.

I can remember the notion spreading that there would not be any marriage or children in the new system. Many of my contemporaries jumped into marriage and started a family in the last few years before 1975.

Blondie

• ferret
    ferret

Believe me I lived it and we never got the date on our own. Everybody was talking about it because it was taught to us by the watchtower. they can deny it all they want, but it definitely was the society that started all the hype. They are evil liars.

• blondie
    blondie

A good point, ferret. I second that, the date was developed and promoted from 1966 onward. There was quite a bit of fallout and in 1978 and 1979 the number of JWs worldwide decreased.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I too remember it well. Whats the difference, I hear thats their next big campaign right now, how imminent the end is. How many more times?

Sherry

• caligirl
    caligirl

My parents became witnesses (I think baptized in spring of 75) so it was enough to hook them- hope of resurrection being so soon and all that. Me, I was 2 at the time, so I have no recollection of any of it personally.

I believe that my mother in law was counseled for planting strawberries in her garden in 1975 because they would not bear fruit until 1976, and her expecting to be there to pick them showed lack of faith.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit