Judah Ben Schroeder

by startingover 32 Replies latest jw friends

• startingover
    startingover

Not too long ago this thread was started: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/108750/1894427/post.ashx#1894427

It started me thinking about what it must have been like for him being raised as a GB member's only child at Bethel. Now I had a father that was at the forefront of the society's activites, and I know about some of the "perks" that come with that. I didn't really care for being in that position, as I grew older and got involved in the org. it seemed like I lived in a shadow of my father. It is very hard to establish you own identity. I can't imagine how it would have been Judah Ben.

Does anyone know about what his life was like? What were the living arrangements like for him? Did he go to a public school? When he became of age, did he move out into his own room? There must be some ex-Bethelites on here that knew him. If his life was anything like I imagine, what a twisted view of reality he must have.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

*** w88 3/1 p. 16 My Life in Jehovah’s Spirit-Directed Organization ***

Sharing

in Married Life

While attending the "Triumphant Kingdom" conventions in Europe in 1955, I renewed my acquaintance with dear Charlotte Bowin, who had been one of my students in the first class of Gilead in 1943. She served for 12 years as a faithful missionary in Spanish territory, including Mexico and El Salvador. Now, along with her partner Julia Clogston, she was attending these European conventions. Incidentally, Charlotte’s parents had been members of the Brooklyn Bethel family when they were both single, back in Brother Russell’s time. Then, when they married, Martin Bowin became a traveling overseer until Charlotte was born in 1920.

In January 1956 Charlotte entered Bethel service and was transferred to Kingdom Farm. In August 1956 we were married. When Charlotte became pregnant, we were downhearted, believing that this would end our full-time service. However, Brother Franz encouraged us, saying: "You haven’t sinned in making the womb fruitful. Take courage! It may be that Jehovah will arrange for you somehow to continue in the full-time service."

So it turned out. I was able to continue on the Gilead School faculty. First we lived in a small rented apartment, and then in 1962 we moved into a newly built house located about a mile [1.6 km] from the school. There in South Lansing, New York, our son, Judah Ben, who was born in February 1958, spent his early years.

We had many joys in Judah Ben’s upbringing, as we always tried to apply Bible principles. (Ephesians 6:1-4) He was encouraged to follow Micah 6:8, even as I sought to apply that text in my life. Later, Judah became a third generation Bethelite and served at Bethel for 12 years. He was married to a lovely pioneer sister, Amber Baker, in June 1986. They now pioneer in Michigan.

This is from Albert Shroeder's life story. I guess either he was home schooled or went to upstate NY public schools, doesnt really say.

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

that's dated ... now judah and his wife go to / went to Law School at Columbia University (Ivy League school).

-silent

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

I know its dated however if you read the posting he was asking about his early life. It was confirmed already that he is in law school.

• startingover
    startingover

Thanks for that info. I pictured him living in the confines of an institution as a kid. I'm sure because of his dad's involvement he was still plenty involved. My folks were heavily involved, and I can remember spending a couple of weeks prior to the summer convention in the convention city where my dad did pre-convention work. I got to do quite a bit af traveling as a kid, but I think it was mainly to go to those 9 day monster conventions. I can imagine it was the same way for Judah Ben.

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    "You haven’t sinned in making the womb fruitful......."

Ugh!

• metatron
    metatron

I think it was him - who caused a lot of discontent by having a wedding ceremony that was considered highly 'materialisitic".

Law school ? I'm not surprized. One law for you , another for me.

metatron

• startingover
    startingover

I got this info from someone else, this is not my experience, but I think it is very interesting.

Several years ago when I was on a private tour of WT facilities in upstate NY I asked about the Schroeders specifically with Judah Ben in mind.

The brother who was showing us around told me that the Schroeders had their own apartment...on WT grounds. I asked how that was "separate" and said that I resented the fact that they could raise a child while in full time service (at WT expense) and people like me couldn't.

At that moment we happened to be passing the very building where the Schroeder's apartment was located. The building housed the Gilead school if I recall correctly. This was at WT Farm on Red-something Road. The building looked like an overgrown KH, entrance in front, door on side. The Schroeder's apartment was entered through the door on the side of this building.

I asked the brother how this could be construed as off-site, own expense, separate from what the rank and file were paying for, etc. and the brother's answer was that "it has a separate door, they can't walk from their apartment into the other parts of the building, they have to walk around."

Nice work if you can get it!

On a separate note, I met the Schroeders, Albert, Charlotte, Judah Ben and Amber once back in the early 90's. They are really decent people. Judah and Amber were very down-to-earth.
  • ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

So I guess, that because he is Schroeder's kid he can go to LAW SCHOOL, BUTTTTTT the rest of the R & F should not because there are just tooo many temptations in higher education, and god forbid they learn to think for themselves UUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH, the DAMN HYPOCRISY!!!!

IC

• startingover
    startingover

Who knows what is mind will allow him to learn. I think he'd make one fine apostate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit