When did you first "get the truth™"

by unclebruce 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Confessions of a "theocratic liar.™"

9.15am. May 16th 1965. Hampstead Gardens Primary School. Adelaide. South Australia.

My first memory of "making a stand for the truth™" was when, on May 15 1965, I lied to my teacher to avoid taking part in the daily salute the flag ritual.

I remember it like it was yesterday. It was my 8 th birthday. The teacher turned to me and asked "is it your birthday?" A violent home had rendered me shy of adults. My head was buzzing with anti-birthday doctrine and I just decided to lie. I said NO. She asked again and I compounded the lie by again denying that it was my birthday. In those days birthday boys and girls were given the honour of holding up the Australian flag while the class welcomed the school day by singing that time honoured classic God Save The Queen.

That memory haunted me for ages. I had lied before and been belted hard for it. I didn't care if I got caned at school but I did care that I had lied instead of being able to explain my new religious beliefs.

We had recently abandoned our Methodist faith and had become Jehovah's Witnesses, which suited my alcohol loving father and fire and brimstone mother just fine, but my parents remained clueless of the torment it put me through at school. I was popular but the lone JW and continually caned and punished by teachers and headmasters for failure to sing Christmas carols, refusing to salute the flag, sing the national anthem, celebrate Australia day, ANZAC day, Remembrance day, the Queens birthday, Easter, and numerous other crimes against the state.

Teachers back then thought nothing of using my bum for "cricket practice" (being "hit for six" with a cricket bat is not for the fainthearted - but I took it bravely for Jehovah and NEVER once cried lol).

As I approach half a century of life, 8 years old seems preposterously young to be involved in war strategy but this was a pattern of things to come. Years of bullying by my parents, teachers and Elders helped me developed passive resistance to an art form. Skills I later used to good effect in escaping from the cult.

It turns out I needn't have carried that guilt throughout my JW life because, unknown to me until several years before “leaving the truth™” the watchtower openly approved of and encouraged such lies:

J ehovah's Witnessesare not: "under obligation to divulge truthful information to people who are not entitled to it." Insight on the Scriptures Volume II p. 245.™

"for the purpose of protecting the interests of God's cause, it is proper to hide the truth from God’s enemies… This comes under the term ‘war strategy ™’." Watchtower 1960 June 1 p. 352™

Yes, I remember exactly when I first “got the truth™” how about you?

• gumby
    gumby

Unc.....first let me say....." I'm glad your back on JWD"( that's my sign that says I like ya)

K....seriously now. I was born a dub since my mum/mom was a dub....and her mum/mom was a dub. My granny goes back to Rutherfords day.

I too was a scared little dubbie at school who had to endure what you did......cept for my mom was a real good theocratic liar. She told me during the flag salute I could put my hand over my heart.....but instead of cite the pledge of allegiance, I could say a prayer to Jehovah......so I did.

My dad put a stop to us attending the hall for many of my young years....so when I became a teenager and met another witness at school, my mom and me schemed ( kinda like Jacob and his ma did to abraham on the birthright thingy) to lie to my dad and say I was going swimming at my friends ....when I really went to the Kingdom Hall. We felt we could lie in this case since it was for Jehovah. Someday I'll tell my whole story here.

Gumby

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

That's the nicest thing you've ever to me Gumby lol

Actually, not wishing to play one up mansheep here but one set of my great grandparents (Nightingales) "got the truth™" just prior to WWI but left it and England behind in 1925

Scarey to think these things can skip a generation

PS: For many years we had great grans copy of the Photodrama of Creation ™ and didn't even know it was a witness publication - I remmember astonishing my parents by pointing it out circa 1972. pst.. is there a smiley for clueless?

• Gregor
    Gregor

Third generation witnesses, like me, didn't get the truth, the truth got us.

• DigitalFokus
    DigitalFokus

Just talked with my mom, the lousy dubs studied with here when i was 5 years old. she quit studing when we moved shortly after that.

they contacted her again 9 years later (nice follow up fellas) she started studing which meant we did to. It stuck with me. for a little while.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Third Gen here, too. Brucey, you've got the "privilege" of being 3rd Gen JW and exJW

Btw, don't tell Gumbobbit, but it was Isaac, not Abraham, that was blindsided. Darn ornery b*st*rd doesn't like it when I kurrect him

• lola28
    lola28

I began to study when I was 14, honestly I swear I must have fallen and hit my head. I so wish my mother would have made me stop.

lola

"out to change the world, one whore at a time"

• stillajwexelder
  • fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I never "got the truth". I thought I had got it in 1981, when I started studying with the jws, but I know it wasn't the truth at all now.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

"I lied to my teacher"

That sounds so typical -

-----------------------------------------------------

Think jw - think sinister

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit