Some ?s about the Memorial

by kristyann 10 Replies latest jw friends

• kristyann
    kristyann

I have some questions about the Memorial... but I actually have one other question first. I am signed on and posting and everything... but it still says "Welcome Guest" at the top and I can't access my private messages. Anyone know why? Does this ever happen to anyone else?

My other questions are...

How is the date for the Memorial calculated? It's obviously always right around Easter and Passover... so I assume that it has something to do with one of them. How do they decide what day it will be? I don't really get it. Since they love being so "different" from "Christendom," or any other religion, it seems funny that they would decide to copy the exact way that Easter and Passover are calculated. Well, I guess not, seeing as to how JWs pretty much like to copy plenty of other things... they pick and choose what they please.

My other question is... what would happen if I ate the bread/crackers and drank the wine at the Memorial? What would they do? I'm not a JW, I never have been, I am extremely young (I know most people who take it are old), I don't regularly attend the Kingdom Hall or anything like that. I mean, they get outraged if just a regular member takes it and not someone claiming to be the "annointed,"... so what would they do if this girl that they'd never seen before came, attended the Memorial, and took the wine and bread out of nowhere? Would they yell? Kick me out? Politely explain to me that I must have misunderstood? What if I told them that I AM one of the annointed ones? How do these people decide that they are one of the annointed ones. anyway? They just come up with it, tell everyone, and everyone else just ACCEPTS it? I don't get it. And why are all the ones claiming to be annointed so old?

• Inkie
    Inkie

Hi Kristyann: Sorry, don't know how to answer your first questions; however, the others maybe.

You ask: "How is the date for the Memorial calculated?"

By the first full moon nearest the equinox. The memorial is almost always celebrated on a full moon. Once the new moon is sighted, you count 14 days, that 14th day is Nisan 14. Actually though it is calculated by the "aviv" regarding the barley in Israel. The barley has to be at a certain ripe point or "aviv" before any new moon is determined.

My other question is... what would happen if I ate the bread/crackers and drank the wine at the Memorial?

You would be resurrected and receive everylasting life. Read John 6:53-57, which reads:

Accordingly, Jesus said to them: "Most truly I say to you, UNLESS you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in yourselves. He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has everlasting life, and I SHALL RESURRECT HIM at the last day. . . . He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood remains in union with me, and I in union with him. Just as the living Father sent me forth and I live because of the Father, HE ALSO THAT FEED ON ME, EVEN THAT ONE WILL LIVE because of me."

What would they do? They might ignore you. Or, might try to dissuade you from taking the next emblem. Or, they might try to instruct you to reject what Christ offers to you in the future.

I'm not a JW. That is irrelevant.

I am extremely young (I know most people who take it are old).

This is also irrelevant. "For the promise of God is to you and to your children and to all those afar off, just as many as Jehovah our God may call to him."--Acts 2:39.

They get outraged if just a regular member takes it and not someone claiming to be the "annointed,"... so what would they do if this girl that they'd never seen before came, attended the Memorial, and took the wine and bread out of nowhere?

Why are all the ones claiming to be annointed so old?

You have to know their history to understand this last one. Back in the early 1900's they believed that the end of the world was neigh and thus the heavenly calling (being anointed) had ceased and that's why at this time (with few exceptions that they strangely explain away) they are all old.

Hope this helps.

Inkie

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

To answer your 1st Question. If you cleaned out your history the last time you shut down your computer, then the next time you reboot you will have to sign in again.

2nd Question. They calculate the day by corresponding to the Jewish calendar day of Nisan 14. They will usually have the meeting some time after sundown of the day.

3rd Question. They will probably kindly talk to you about it privately after the meeting, saying something to the effect that you didn't properly understand the meaning behind the symbols.

The Claw.

PS You have a PM

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

You probably explained this in a previous post but if you are not nor never have been one of Jehovah's Witnesses why are you going to the memorial?

This might be my first year not going.

• kristyann
    kristyann

No, I'm NOT going... I am just wondering what would happen if I did that! LOL I am not actually considering doing it. I am just wondering, and thought it was kind of funny. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

OK, you had me worried.

• delilah
    delilah

The memorial is almost always celebrated on a full moon.

I can tell you, that ever since I can remember, I've looked up to the sky, after leaving the memorial service, and even if it had poured down rain all day,( or snowed) the moon always seemed to be magically , shining down. Therefore, I was absolutely certain, that this WAS the truth....

This is the first year, that I am contemplating going to a church, for the Easter celebration. I haven't been to the memorial in about 8 years.

• blondie
    blondie

Kristyann,

Below is an explanation of how the WTS determines when the "Memorial" is. It helps explain why the WTS date is not always the same day as the Jews celebrate Passover. Many Christian religions celebrate the first Friday after the calendar date Nisan 14 (Good Friday) which correlates more to the "Memorial" and Easter the Sunday immediately following that Friday. It is noteworthy to say that the Russian and Greek Orthodox churches celebrate about a month later since they did not change calendars from Julian to Gregorian

Since you are not a baptized JW, it would be noticed that you partook, but you would not be counted as partaking for the record purposes of the WTS. They would more likely conclude that you were a confused newcomer, just starting to study with or be interested in the JWs. I doubt that they would even say anything to you. Now if you were a baptized JW, it is likely they would talk to you.

*** Reasoning from the Scriptures book p. 269 par. 2 Memorial (Lord’s Evening Meal) ***

Jehovah’s Witnesses observe the Memorial after sundown on Nisan 14, according to the reckoning of the Jewish calendar that was common in the first century. The Jewish day begins at sundown and extends until the following sundown. So Jesus died on the same Jewish calendar day that he instituted the Memorial. The beginning of the month of Nisan was the sunset after the new moon nearest the spring equinox became visible in Jerusalem. The Memorial date is 14 days thereafter. (Thus the date for the Memorial may not coincide with that of the Passover kept by modern-day Jews. Why not? The start of their calendar months is set to coincide with the astronomical new moon, not the visible new moon over Jerusalem, which may come 18 to 30 hours later. Also, most Jews today keep the Passover on Nisan 15, not on the 14th as did Jesus in harmony with what was stated in the Mosaic Law.)

Blondie

• rimbaudbunuel
    rimbaudbunuel

I"m thinking of going to the memorial this year at some congregation they dont know me. And when The wine comes to me drink the whole thing - and then after let out a big Ahhhhh - "Now that was tasty" and just keep passing the empty glass to the next person. And when the crackers come to me - pull out some hummus from my bookbag - and start dipping them in the humus and chow down.

• heathen
    heathen
    The start of their calendar months is set to coincide with the astronomical new moon, not the visible new moon over Jerusalem, which may come 18 to 30 hours later

Is this a fact or is this some more WTBTS mumbo jumbo ? So what they are saying is the only right time to celebrate is when the new moon is over Jerusalem ? So I'd like to know if they even do that . I know they wait til after sun down on the alledged date of nissan 14 but does that mean the new moon is over jerusalem at the time they start the ritual (not the meeting) ? Good job posting that blondie .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit