WAS THIS A NO-NO FOR YOUR CONG. SHEPHERDING VISITS?

by juni 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• juni
    juni

I DON'T KNOW WHERE THE ELDERS LEARNED THIS ONE. MAYBE IT WAS LOCAL - I DON'T KNOW. BUT.... THESE WERE SHEPHERDING CALLS TO BUILD YOU UP SPIRITUALLY SO THEREFORE NO SERVING OF COFFEE OR COOKIES WERE ALLOWED.

WAS THIS TRUE WITH YOUR CONGREGATION'S SHEPHERDING VISITS?

JUNI

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

What shepherding visits? I have not heard of anybody getting one for years. Certainly my faithful dub wife has not had a shepherding call since.....?

When they did come, and further back when I made calls myself, NO WAY would the elders that I knew ban the "tea and scones" (this is England after all)

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

pbbblt i was a jw for almost 40 yrs. got one sheparding call in all that time.

sheparding calls are some wierd jw urban legend.

• juni
    juni

I know what you're saying, Our family had 2 visits in 21 years. But at the last visit, which I think was in the mid to early 80's - no coffee or cookies were to be brought out because it would take away from the reason that they were there. NOT SOCIAL CALL , BUT SPIRITUAL.

Juni

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

yeah if your service record is so bad that they decide to give you a call, they sure dont want you to think your socially acceptable!

(gawd i'm bitter lol)

• blondie
    blondie

Shepherding Calls

1) Just social (back in the old days) Beverages were offered but not required. Some did have cookies or equivalent, but it was not required.

2) Initial judicial investigation (elders too busy with these to do #1) Both the elders and the JW knew this was no social call, either by being told directly or sensing it.

I did hear of some BOEs that were hardnosed about the first type of call and not having treats. There always has to be someone makings rules, eh?

Blondie

• Purza
    Purza

Food and beverages were allowed. They were there to "encourage" and they did speak to me on a social level. I never offered them anything though, but they would have accepted -- at least the brothers in my hall.

Purza

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated

We only had one in a decade, but I served coffee and some baked goods. No one in my congregation EVER turned down free food. It was actually a pretty light and easy-going evening.

• KW13
    KW13

Never stopped elders seeing my Stepdad recently or indeed the Circuit overseer having food and drink when he came.

Next they'll have to come in naked

• Honesty
    Honesty
    2) Initial judicial investigation (elders too busy with these to do #1) Both the elders and the JW knew this was no social call, either by being told directly or sensing it. Blondie

Spot on, Blondie. Most of the time they don't even disguise it as a 'shepherding call.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit