Do you follow you own advice?

by Golf 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• Golf
    Golf

People are so free about giving advice. My question is, do you follow your own advice?

I have often quoted this scripture, "...do you, however, the one teaching someone else, not teach yourself?" Romans 2:21

Golf

• serendipity
    serendipity

Sometimes.

• DelTheFunkyHomosapien
    DelTheFunkyHomosapien

not as much as i should

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

"It's hard to get a foot into a closed mouth"

I have a very hard time following that one.

• Golf
    Golf

Thanks for your input. As a professional golfer and teacher, I practice what I preach.

Why do people freely give advice and yet don't practice it themselves?

Golf

• DelTheFunkyHomosapien
    DelTheFunkyHomosapien

They're usually the most insecure and in need of advice.

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka

Do I follow my own advice??

I try to, I certainly do my best to look at my situations objectively and think out a reasonable and rational solution to it, like I would if a friend asked me for advice on a similar situation, but really, it's hard to follow your own advice. It's much easier to tell someone else how to deal with a difficult situation that it is to deal with it yourself.

For example, I'm dating a JW.

If my best friend came to me and said she was dating a JW, I'd research a little, then say, "GET THE HELL AWAY FROM HIM AS FAST AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE!!", or maybe something more like, "That's a can of worms you don't want to open, here's the deal, think it over, I think it would be in your best interests to find someone better suited to your own lifestyle who can accept and love you for who you are."

But of course, it's not a friend in that situation, it's me, and it's significantly hard for me to do that. I know that my life would me much easier if I just followed that advice, but that doesn't make it any easier for me to step up and do that.

All the same, I do try to take my own advice, just because other people tend to find it reasonably helpful.

-Becka :)

• DelTheFunkyHomosapien
    DelTheFunkyHomosapien

Becka

GET THE HELL AWAY FROM HIM AS FAST AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE

Just some advice. I did it and if you sort of feel that way you should.

• John Doe
    John Doe

People should never tell other people what they should do, and I follow all of my own advice. ;-)

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

I always follow my own advice never give any advice I haven't tested first!

gently feral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit