Has there been any fall out yet over the Higher Education WT article?

by truthseeker 32 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Have you heard any complaints about the WT article on Higher education?

Are there those for college? Against college?

From personal experience, an elder that I know is sending his son to university once he graduates high school this summer. He has been told NOT to give his own advice should another witness parents ask him for it regarding education for their child.

He refuses to give talks that condemn higher education.

Another elder in his congregation is also sending his daughter to college, but keeping very quiet about this.

This elder says he doesn't want his son doing auto mechanics or hairdressing, because he is not interested in it.

He says education is very important if you want to live a reasonable life. I personally think this issue will be the catalyst for a lot of witnesses leaving or going inactive. This is the final straw for many. And what are college students supposed to do if there in college? Lose their Pell grants, pay back their student loans and scholarships if they have these?

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

g'day truthseeker,

Last year in abstudies (aboriginal studies - not under any circumstance to be refered to as "abo studies") a young JW girl stormed out of class slamming the door behind her (my fellow mature aged students were shocked and reconed it was probably something I'd said .. who me? press a zombies buttons .. never!

• Kudra
    Kudra

Uncle Bruce I think you are a real kick in the pants
    so whaddya say?

something about them getting there 40,000 years ago?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Almost all the kids at my congo are going to college.

• Dune
    Dune

I dont even blame the orgo for not wanting us to go to college.

Before going to college people often looked at me as a future District Overseer.

During my first two semesters i came across alot of things in NON-philosophical classes such as archeology and womens studies that started to make me think.

However, the way i was treated after enrolling in college was probably the straw that broke the camel's back.

I've spoken to a few high school aged witneses about the issue. One even got angry at me when i told her that she probably should become a pioneer and follow through with what the WTBS said if she wanted to live in peace. (She didnt talk to me for a week cause of this).

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

The big education article was the last straw for me also. It made me realize how inexorably different I am from the JW mindset.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

The adult witnesses who are college educated were enraged by the article, because it implies that they don't love God, and that they wasted their time.

I heard one brother (mid 30s) comment that the pioneers aren't the ones paying for the new parking lot at our hall--- and thats true.

I was counseled by the elders for mentioning college in a comment. (http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/106605/1850783/post.ashx#1850783)

Many young ones who plan on going to college are very upset that the WTBTS is demonizzing college, possibly causing second guesses form their parents.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Some care a lot about it - mainy older Witnesses who have already given up their opportunities and are eager that younger ones make similar sacrifices. But equally I think there are a lot that just let it go in one ear and out the other.

Witnesses are quite used to hearing about all the things they should/should not be doing, and then negotiating in their own mind which they will accept and which they will reject. The fact is that it would be an absolutely impossible task to do/not do everything that the Watchtower counsels. So even the most loyal Witness is forced to rationalise in their own mind justifications for: not managing to auxilary pioneer this April; spending too much time with work colleagues/school friends; not turning off the TV when it gets a bit steamy/violent; not managing the day's text every day, to prepare the WT study, book study, Bible reading, service meeting preparation, theocratic ministry school... on and on and on.

When you are forced to feel that you are falling short on a daily basis by not complying with these minor things, then it actually makes it easier to go through the same process of justifying in your own mind ignoring what the society also says about bigger life issues - such as studying and so on.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I got talked to a lot about not pursuing some prestigious high minded career, though I was going to get away with a 2 year college course, though some wanted it to be a 9 month lower level program instead. But I ended up leaving and am in the middle of a 4 year degree instead.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I dont know why all the greif about college. JW's plan fine futures for their kids. I know of one elders daughter who has the high ambition when she finishes high school to become a nail technician and pioneer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit