If homosexuals were treated as the Bible recommends.........

by Gill 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• Gill
    Gill

A few years ago, infact quite a few years ago, I was working in FS with a particularly arrogant JW, name of Mr Spong.

There had been a case of a young boy of about 9 years old who had been sexually assaulted and murdered by a pedophile/homosexual man and this was in all the national press. Bro. Spong's presentation was on the Bible and if it was relevant in todays world. He said to a woman householder:

" Do you think then that this young boy would have been murdered if we had followed the Biblical laws when it came to homosexuality, it being a detestable thing? Wouldn't he still be alive now if homosexuality was banned?'

I remember this woman householder being as stunned as myself. I think she had probably had the same thoughts running through her mind as I had in mine.

Would killing/stoning/banning homosexuality REALLY have saved this child?

What about all the little girls and young women that are assaulted and murdered every year, all over the world. What do we do to prevent that? Do we ban sex?

After all these years, I still believe that to have been amongst one of the most stupid things I've ever heard a JW say, and even worse, he believed it.

• jeanniebeanz
  • FairMind
    FairMind

How would banning homosexual activity have stopped this crime? I don’t believe a person’s sexual orientation is the cause of crime or criminal activity. Yes, the Bible does condemn homosexual activity and states that those who “Practice” this type of sin (which really is just another form of fornication) will not inherit God’s kingdom. This is not to say however that all people, heterosexuals and homosexuals alike are not deserving of respect as individuals. Child molesters and murderers come from both sets of sexual orientation, gay and straight. I agree, that brother was stupid.

• Ellie
    Ellie

What a ridiculous thing to say, I bet the ground could have swallowed you up.

Well if thats the kind of thinking ability the Awake gives you, they can keep it.

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

I guess this is what the University Education of Awake Magazine teaches. Blech!

• Krystal
    Krystal

This is a common misconception within the org... I have heard similar stupid comments.

Homosexuality does not mean pedophile/murderer!!

You don't see them saying all straight men who have sex before marriage should be stoned incase they decide to assault a little girl!

Ignorance.

• Scully
    Scully
    What about all the little girls and young women that are assaulted and murdered every year, all over the world.

Well, you know how it is in the JW world - if you don't have a penis, you aren't much use and won't amount to anything anyway. Besides, if a child gets murdered, the JWs believe he/she will have a Resurrection™, so they are actually better off having been killed.

BTW, Br. Spong's comment reminds me of a line from Shakespeare: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

• aniron
    aniron
    You don't see them saying all straight men who have sex before marriage should be stoned

Actually I have heard one Elder and a Circuit Overseer say this.

Their view was it would cut down on unmarried mothers and the incidence of Sexual Transmiited Diseases.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

"The Bible™ says..."

"The Bible™ condemns..."

These phrases, with their innumerable and endlessly debated predicates, ascribe a monolithic, living quality to a diverse and contradictory collection of writings that accumulated over hundreds of years, were written by various individuals from a highly superstitious and primitive tribal culture whom we know little or nothing about, in languages completely different from our own.

I wish people would just GET OVER The Bible™.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

First of all, most pedophiles are heterosexuals, so this is even more ignorant.

Sherry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit