Did you buy new clothes for the Memorial?

by MsMcDucket 19 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I was just wondering how many people went out and bought new clothes for the Memorial. Did you feel like it was a festive holiday like Easter or did you just feel like it was another meeting that you had to attend?

• blondie
    blondie

No, but I did for the assemblies/conventions.

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated

I did. I felt it was the one thing closest to a normal holiday, so I went all out for the whole family. Had a big meal at our house afterwards for everyone, etc.

Everything I did always felt it was fake, though. No amount of pretending could mask the niggling thought deep inside of me that it had fallen short. I was also tired of making pretend "special" and "present" days for my kids. Those felt fake, too.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

it depends. I lived in some areas where it was a really big occasion and everyone got dolled up, hats and gloves and everything like that. I think I bought something that year. Mostly it felt like a holiday to me. Everyone was buzzing around and it seemed like a "special" night.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    but I did for the assemblies/conventions.

I remember this too; it was almost like a bloody fashion parade for men as well as women. I was as guilty as the next person though but looking back I realise how shallow this really was. People would concern themselves because they didnt have new things to wear for the convention...and they would comment on the new dress that a 'sister' was wearing. It reminds me of some lyrics to a song I used to listen to...as there are bigger issues to consider other than the new clothes someone has or hasnt got for the assemblies.

For goodness sake people should get a life!

Sex jibe husband murders wife
    Bomb blast victim fights for life
    Girl Thirteen attacked with knife

Princess Di is wearing a new dress

Jet airliner shot from sky
    Famine horror, millions die
    Earthquake terror figures rise

You can't change the world
    But you can change the facts
    And when you change the facts
    You change points of view
    If you change points of view
    You may change a vote
    And when you change a vote
    You may change the world

In black townships fires blaze
    Prospects better premier says
    Within sight are golden days

You can't change the world
    But you can change the facts
    And when you change the facts
    You change points of view
    If you change points of view
    You may change a vote
    And when you change a vote
    You may change the world

• Emma
    Emma

No. It always reminded my mom of Easter and the show people made. She grew up poor and couldn't afford new clothes and felt bad on Easter Sunday. When we were growing up, she taught us the memorial was a serious occasion. She also reminded us that those who couldn't afford new things might feel bad, and that our not going for "showy" stuff could help. I raised my kids the same way. Don't know if it was right or wrong but no regrets.

I knew people who deliberately went all out because it was the one time of year; I didn't quite get it.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Hello MsMcDucket

I did. For some years my ex husband would deliver part of the talk on the night - I can't remember if it was the bread part or the wine part of the talk - I used to tune right out and find myself wondering what was happening on ER that night instead of listening to the talks. Wearing something new always gave me the feeling that it was worthwhile being there. What a joke.

~Beck~

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

that was the only reason i found the memorial half way bearable. i loved going shopping and getting a new dress and new shoes. my mom and i would start getting ready around 4pm, and by the time we left, we were looking HOT!!!

i always felt so pretty on memorial night.

luv, jojo

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

We would buy new clothes for the memorial, well the girls in my family anyway. We would always go out to a restuarant for dessert, with alot of other people in our hall after the memorial.

• anewme
    anewme

No. And the Memorial was actually painful for me because I felt so alone at what was supposed to be our religion's most important holiday. I was a convert at 18. My mother was dead, I was alone in the JWs and I was a pretty depressed person.

I became a housecleaner for the next ten years and lived on very little money.
    I shopped at thrift stores for my meeting clothes and shoes.

I was always an outsider and made friends with the older ones and "weirdies".

Finally at 28 I met and married a JW man who was very serious for Jehovah. Together we lived modestly on his monthly disability check. Our clothes, car and rented home never gave cause for jealousy believe me.

He was of the code that even putting his arm around my shoulders or his hand in mine in public might incite jealousy and sadness and pain in the hearts of the unmarried sisters. So I went without there too.

So much pain. So much brainwashing. So many years spent in delusion, for what?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit