The Bible - God's Word or Man's?

by SickofLies 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

I guess my basic goal here is to express to others and hopefully get more support in my efforts to tear down the two worst and most inaccurate books the society has published. Those being: Life: how did it get here? and The Bible - God's Word or Man's?

I guess I have turn atheistic since leaving, but its a great feeling, no more fear, no more superstition! I hope I can help others achieve this same state, not just former JW's but anyone stuck in a fundamentalist religion or cult.

“The Bible is unique in its popularity. It is an all-time best seller, available to 98 percent of the world's population in over 1800 languages. No other book comes close to its circulation figures.” Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, 1989. The Bible - God's Word or Man's?

Popularity does not indicate reliability. Indeed, the opposite is more likely. Other best-sellers, such as Spock's Baby and Child Care, Von Daniken's Chariots of the Gods, The Atkins Diet, and Linda Goodman's Sun Signs, range from seriously flawed to downright bogus. Longevity is a better indicator of quality. The Bible rates well in that category, but it is surpassed by several other works, such as the Iliad and Odyssey and the Hindu Vedas and Epics. And even then, the quality that matters is mostly in how the ideas are expressed, not in scientific accuracy.

To a significant degree, the Bible achieved its large circulation by conquest, not merit. Native cultures were subjugated or murdered by Christian missionaries, and their works were destroyed. Even today, many so-called Christians try to force the Bible on others through political dominance; for example, by trying to get it taught in science classes of public schools. They act as though the Bible cannot succeed on its own. This is a reason to reject the Bible, not approve of it.

“The Bible is unique in that it is the most influential book of all time.” - Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, 1989. The Bible - God's Word or Man's? , p. 8.

The Bible is not unique in being influential. Historian Michael H. Hart ranks Muhammad and Isaac Newton as being more influential than Jesus Christ, suggesting that the Qur'an and 's Principia are at least comparable in influence. Influence does not necessarily imply good qualities. Christianity achieved much of its influence by force of arms, including several cases of genocide. Part of the Bible's influence that made Christianity powerful was the fact that it allowed slavery and usury.

“The Bible is unique in the amount of persecution it has faced. No other book has been the target of such opposition and hatred, and survived because of the devotion it inspired.” - Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, 1989. The Bible - God's Word or Man's? , pp. 8-9.

Persecution is not a good sign. When people persecute something, they usually have a reason. When lots of people persecute something, they usually have a damn good reason. (And note that this claim contradicts the claim that the Bible is special because it is popular.) Surviving persecution is of no great significance, either, unless you are trying to signify force of arms. (Devotion in the face of persecution is common to all religions.) A greater indication that an idea is favored by God would be if that idea arose again spontaneously whenever it has been suppressed. By this standard, humanism is superior to any other religion. The Bible has inspired probably more persecution than it has received. Christianity has a bloody history of trying to spread its Word forcibly. Much of the persecution it has received is due to the conflict that it itself has engendered. The Qur'an has faced a great deal of persecution, too. Given time, it may well overtake the Bible in this regard.

“The Bible is unique in its intellectually honesty. Its characters have real personalities. It portrays flaws of its writers and details failures along with successes.” - Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, 1989. The Bible - God's Word or Man's? , pp. 65-66.

The Bible is far from unique in this regard. The Iliad and Odyssey depict the heroes as human, and even the gods have personalities and failures. The Mahabharata depicts failures of its heroes. In the African Mwindo Epic, a major part of the story is Mwindo's punishment after he achieved, and then overreached, his power (Biebuyck and Mateene 1971). Thor's weaknesses are the focus of part of The Prose Edda. Examples can be multiplied from all parts of the world. People prefer stories about real people, and real people are fallible, so that is what people write about. - Enjoy! Anyone else know of anyother arguments to refute the bible being inspired??

• Legolas
    Legolas
    The Bible - God's Word or Man's?

Man's!

• FairMind
    FairMind

God's, through man (IMO).

• joelbear
    joelbear

definitely a piece of fiction, lore and advice columns.

• robhic
    robhic

Very interesting and well-written. I agree wholeheartedly with you. You wrote many things which I have been thinking for a long time. And you made a couple more points that were interesting, too.

For me, one simple thing is just how conveniently the bible and all things in it mirror the lives and beliefs of the late Bronze Age and later periods. Why does the creator of the entire universe seem to only utilize the logic and technology of primitive goat-herders? Seems the "master builder" would be able to operate in a better way. Why all the references to a "sword" or a "chariot" etc.? Because that's all these people understood.

They would have had problems understanding the concept of armegeddon as nuclear holocaust. So how is this book written with an eye to "all times?" It was all they knew! And the they here are the ancient, primitive people who wrote this book to make themselves feel better about themselves (like a pep-talk), instill some fear in the masses for control purposes, establish some rules (not all bad) and try to elevate themselves in the eyes of the masses. IMO, of course, but the bible was written and conceived by MAN.

• DavidChristopher
    DavidChristopher

God's Word......hard to understand to allow dumbasses to make God a puppet and advocate of their personal opinions. Funny...if they could not...they would not be publically worshiping Him, would they?

Will they still worship Him, when He makes HIS opinion known? If they disagree...what are they going to do?

• GodisRight
    GodisRight

I believe the bible is the word God. Recent experiences in my life can only point in that direction. By the way, I have seen real live authnic psychics who can fortell the future and possess knowledge that normal humans don't have.

Also have any you taken a unbiased look in to Israel's military victories in the 20 century and compared it to other wars in that century? Isreals victory was just like the stories you read from the bible in acient times about Israel's military victories over their enemies. Israel really should not be existing right now since the moment it was reborn, several neighboring nations have tried to destroy them in at least 3 wars.

American with all it's great power was not able to spread democracy to vietnam, but some how that little democratic new born jewish nation manage to defend itself successively even though odds were stacked heavily against them.

If the bible truely was not the word of God, I think Israel would have been wiped off the map along with South vietnam.

• The Chuckler
    The Chuckler

Godisright

Sounds more like you are shoe horning history to match what you think is in the Bible.

• GodisRight
    GodisRight

Chuckler, there would be no benefit to me at all to convince myself into believing in a lie. I have valid reasons for believing that the bible is the word of God.

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

GodIsRight, thank you for your input, but wouldn't you agree that your arguments fall under the category of "I believe because of X". I'm curious, you seem to imply that Israel’s existence is do to God's help (not an argument for the bible really), where in the bible does it say that Israel’s existence is guaranteed to last until the end of the system (if you indeed believe that the system is coming to an end). Do have anything specific that anchors your belief in the bible?

DavidChristopher, you seem to be implying that a reason for faith is that if we are wrong we're all dead, so better play it safe. Would that is a correct analysis?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit