Why do witnesses think they have the truth?

by JH 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Frog
    Frog

I'd say because of their unique spin on doctrine, makes them feel special and elite...and most importantly because for the majority of jw's the life and teachings of the jw's is all they've ever known, and by the time they're old enough they've gotten themselves too committed to be able to question it. x

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    I'd say because of their unique spin on doctrine, makes them feel special and elite...and most importantly because for the majority of jw's the life and teachings of the jw's is all they've ever known, and by the time they're old enough they've gotten themselves too committed to be able to question it.

Totally, my mother fits that bill; she can be presented with incontrovertible evidence that would shatter any normal persons illusions in respect of the witnesses but she completely ignores it. She cant face the reality that shes been duped all these years and perhaps it would be dangerous of her to do so (which I have often said previously).

The real danger though is the arrogance their beliefs create; its breeds anti social behaviour, arrogant and twisted thought processes which people within society mostly will not tolerate; this will be the reason why they are persecuted if at all and not because of any apocalyptic prophesy!

DB74

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I also think that with the unique beliefs that others do not understand, the average jw has a feeling of superiority. Plus with the way the jws are drilled with their beliefs and the few verses of the bible that they quote incessantly, they have the feeling that they know scripture better than anyone else (they may use scripture more than a lot of people, but they only proof text individual passages, many of their arguements are empty when one reads the surrounding text, or when one uses a bible other than the NWT.)

• M.J.
    M.J.

I get tired of hearing just how unique the JWs are. They got every one of their beliefs from somewhere else...except for the kooky ones tied to the organization, i.e., 7 trumpet blasts of Revelation = 7 conventions in the 1920s.

Their theology is just a mish-mash of "counter-culture" theological ideas put together for the sake of uniqueness.

The chief "counter-culture" environment that they come from has other descendents that also exist today. They all have the old "stand by's" like rejection of the immortal soul, Trinity, paradise earth, God's Kingdom is a "government", etc. Some pre-date the JWs.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Hi there JH

Because the 'truth sets you free'...lets face it, we all want to be free of all the bad things in life...anguish...pain...death etc...

What a load of bullocks !

~Beck~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit