Happiness is 50 percent genetic?

by Deputy Dog 20 Replies latest watchtower medical

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

The Olympics of all things got me thinking about whether or not some people just make a deliberate choice at some point in their life to be happy, and that's all there is to it.

The person that got me thinking along these lines was Scott Hamilton. That guy is always smiling and happy! I wonder, was that something that he cultivated, or was he just always like that from the time he was a kid? Does he get depressed over the news, or does he just confine his mind to his family and the world of ice-skating and doesn't worry about things outside of that?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

DanTheMan Yea, I wonder how many people know that he has inoperable brain cancer. You sure couldn't tell by his demeanor on TV D Dog

• greendawn
    greendawn

Malnutrition can cause depression by not allowing the brain to function properly, genetics likewise if faulty could prevent the production of necessary substances for brain function.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Yea, I wonder how many people know that he has inoperable brain cancer

Holy! Dang, I didn't know that. Such a nice guy.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

DanTheMan

Such a nice guy.

Yea, he doesn't act like a victim (at least on TV). He also had testicular cancer, like Lance Armstrong.

He is a good example.

D Dog

• upside/down
    upside/down

With me... I think it had to do with what I value.

I am a simple person...have never wanted anything...'cept what I had.

My beautiful wife and children were all that ever mattered to me... and all I ever really wanted.

When that was destroyed and I saw my children literally raped of their innocense...it is (not was) more than I can bear.

My boys were straight A students...athletes and always got the citizenship award. After "it" happened...they've fallen apart...suffer severe depression (they were the happiest kids ever, prior)...that is what kills me.

I think everyone is different...I've seen people get all upset at what I consider...NOTHING. And coversely I see people who can't understand why I just don't "get over it".

That's why I love "worldly" peoples so much more than "religious" people...they don't tend to judge...and have more understanding.

IMHO

u/d

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

U/D, when I left the witnesses it was over this issue (depression). I had been married 15 years to an abusive husband, the elders including my dad always thought it was something I was doing that made him treat me that way. I had a boating accident and hurt my back and while taking care of that I found help for the depression. I even got a part time job, at a domestic violence shelter. Boy did that open my eyes.

I had been so depressed for so long, and had missed some meetings here and there, more towards the end. No one offered to help as you can well imagine, and as soon as they found out I was depressed they practically made the hex sign, their eyes got big and they trotted right off. The very last meeting I went to I had been very sick, and the very first thing this old codger elder pounced on me very loudly asking me where I had been and why I had missed so many meetings. I got away from him, sat down, and the number 2 talk was on depression. Given by a kiss-ass MS with aspirations for eldership and not two braincells to knock together. His premise: There are real reasons for depression and then there are excuses. He said unless someone in your family died you should pull yourself up by your bootstraps with the help of Jehovah through prayer, and basically get over it.

That was enough for me. By that time I had been to the doctors and knew about brain chemistry. Mental health is such a taboo subject with JWs and there is so much ignorance around it. Its too bad, too, because I have seen a study where among religions JWs are more depressed and even suicidal than any other, bar none.

I hope you find your answer, my friend, there is hope, and life does get better. There are some things that knock us for such a loop that we kind of get a post-traumatic stress thing going on. If you haven't talked to a therapist about this I highly recommend it. Its such a relief to have someone to talk to sometimes.

Blessings!

Sherry

• upside/down
    upside/down

Gretch.... check your pm's.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I've learned that happiness is an inside job.

I've learned the power of positive thinking.

I've learned that you can think yourself out of depression by making a shift in your thinking. (Not talking about clinical depression for that I do believe you need medical help)

I've learned that positive affirmations can make a huge change in your mental, emotional and physical well being.

I've learned that loving yourself is the first person you must love before you can truly love another.

I've also learned that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

u/d

When that was destroyed and I saw my children literally raped of their innocense...it is (not was) more than I can bear.

My boys were straight A students...athletes and always got the citizenship award. After "it" happened...they've fallen apart...suffer severe depression (they were the happiest kids ever, prior)...that is what kills me.

I wouldn't claim to understand what happened to you or to judge you, but my mom and dad split up when I was 14. Don't let your boys use this as an excuse to fail. They can still heal, and so can you. You can show them how. Never give up!

That's why I love "worldly" peoples so much more than "religious" people...they don't tend to judge...and have more understanding.

It all depends on where you are standing at the time, "worldly" people judge me all the time. D Dog

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit