Have any been attacked while in FS?

by Check_Your_Premises 33 Replies latest jw friends

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Active JW 1964 - Inactive 1986 Pioneered 1972-1975

As a JW: Shot at once by a legless man. Attacked by dogs, goats, geese and once a bull. Endured (with laughter) a flying fruit barrage from an angry witch. Was threatened with jail by a Russian Captain (for sneaking on board his ship). Drenched with a garden hose on a very hot day (thankyou darling). Threatened by Bishop of Adelaide, several times by Catholic and Greek Orthodox priests, irate nurses, medical doctors and a humourless witchdoctor in Papua New Guinea.

None of this was anything compared to being continually being threatened by my mad mother in Adelaide and the other one in Brooklyn
    unc of the cricket bat by the door club.

ps: blondie - you had bad associations.

pps: yes, those pop brollies were great against dogs (not as effective as a steel rule across the snout or a cloroform filled water pistol ..lol)

• dozy
    dozy

How many times were you attacked physically? Never (would have reported to police)

How many times were you attacked verbally? Sworn at a few times - door slammed in face maybe 50X. Man threatend to send his dogs on me once - the pioneer I was with wanted to continue the argument but I wasn't hanging around.

How long were you a JW? 40 years - still a JW

It is much more dangerous being a postman or meter reader - they have dogs and / or humans attacking them all the time. A brother in Glasgow (Ronnie Hunter - well known sub CO) who was an insurance salesman was attacked with an axe - he told me that he got far more grief in his job than he ever did as a pioneer. I have always found that generally people are much more friendly when you have a baby or child with you on the ministry - people who are normally very rude take on a tremendous personality change (some even goo over the baby.) All credit to your wife.

• jambon1
    jambon1

Got egged once, right down my good suit too!

Nasty boys.....

• Frog
    Frog

Heya CYP,

I can understand your concern re your kids. Can't imagine anything more daft than putting yourself on the line out there these days preaching religion.

The most vivid recollection of verbal abuse I can remember was when I was about 10years old preaching with an older family friend. The woman householder hurled abuse her for exploiting a young child in such a way. I vaguely remember parotting some line back that I was really thrilled to be out doing such imporat work blah blah.

The most recent was back in 01 when another 20something friend and I were out offering an "Awake!" entitled "Should you respect the authorities?". The older woman householder interpreted the title incorrectly and abused us for trying to stir up anarchy, and told us that "young people like us should know better!!"...and slammed the door in our faces before we had a chance to respond lol! Daft WT writers writing ambiguous magazine titles grrr

In the "troof" age 1-22...baptised age 16.

frog x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit