WHAT IS THE........meaning.......OF...........?

by Terry 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

What is the meaning of life? Context is everything.

When we say this means this; we are really invoking cause and effect.

LIFE, you must admit, is a small four-letter word. However, it represents a vast and unmanageable complexity!

Humans prefer simplicity whenever possible since survival historically could turn on a dime and instantaneous decisions could decide whether you live or die.

But, it is silly and self-deceptive to think we can distill out of any complexity a simple: cause.

After all, that is why we have the category of cause we call: GOD.

However, I digress!

Just as there are an endless multiplicity of woes and sufferings by numberless souls on our planet; so too, there are as many (or more) root causes.

To resort to JUST ONE CAUSE is to indulge in what I call THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE SYNDROME.

You take the loss of every ship and airplane in one geographical area (such as the Bermuda "Triangle") and attribute one cause:MYSTERIOUS FORCES!

Now, you are free to invent any fantasy that appeals to your imagination! (And we do--oh my! We do!)

Humans use the concept of "meaning" to allow themselves the relative comfort of simplicty in decision making and problem solving. There is really only context, purpose and result.

How we interpret those three elements becomes MEANING.

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

The meaning of liff. it's a word that describes words for things or events for which there are no words, but probably should be. As for the meaning of life, i'm pretty sure it's 42...

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    i'm pretty sure it's 42...

I bid 30

• FairMind
    FairMind

Generally, Life means at least seven years unless it’s “Life Without Parole” in which case it means until you die.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i am really enjoying this whole phase in my life where i make up whatever meaning i feel like for life. many days i contradict myself, badly. but then again, i never was trying to be a saint.

life is gonna mean, or not mean, whatever i want. great times. i don't even have to worry about being moral, or an upstanding citizen, or an RRSPer, or a 2 car & wife-mortgage and white picket fencer. i can just be only what i can be. and that is the greatest gift in a universe devoid of external "meaning". schwing!!

TS

• upside/down
    upside/down

A very good movie by Monty Python.

u/d

• proplog2
    proplog2

Terry:

I tend to be a Jungian on these matters. I look for quaternities. And you presented a good one.

Decision is one vertex of a tetrahedron. The other three vertices are context, purpose, results.

Results are Purpose-Context-Decision

Purpose is Context-Decision-Results

Context is Purpose-Decision-Results

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Being KIND to each other. Regardless. Because we just want to.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

For me it's simple; love. Of family, friends, community, the planet, learning, work... there's just gotta be some kind of love. It's working well for me at this time.

• Terry
    Terry

Terry:

I tend to be a Jungian on these matters. I look for quaternities. And you presented a good one.

Decision is one vertex of a tetrahedron. The other three vertices are context, purpose, results.

Results are Purpose-Context-Decision

Purpose is Context-Decision-Results

Context is Purpose-Decision-Results

It is quite similar, is it not, to ALGEBRA?

The balance of equalities in an equation can be manipulated thus to whatever result you are searching for; yet, all the factors remain in proper relation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit