Abuse BOE Now At SL

by silentlambs 35 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Maximus
    Maximus

Why do I have the feeling that here in the US the Society would be quite happy if all child molestation records miraculously disappeared?

Thank you for helping me make a point, Jemimah. Great Britain has had a fine policy in place for dealing with child abuse. I'm not sure about the June 2001 letter, which seems to repudiate previous policies. Did the Governing Body think that would cover THEIR ass?

In conversation with UK friends, I kept writing about Romans 13 as superseding the two witness rule, as clearly demanding recognition as a teaching. "For it is God's minister." The superior authority can be construed as a family doctor, therapist, or the police. JW elders are not qualified to assess the genuineness of a charge by a child and should let experts do what they do best, blah, blah. You've seen my argumentation.

Their response was something like what kids in the US say when something is obvious. "Well, DUH-uh." We were not in disagreement!

We finally discovered that at least since 1992 Great Britain has had a most enlightened policy THAT IS IN LETTERS TO BODIES OF ELDERS THAT HAVE NOT BEEN DESTROYED. They are there for all to see. UK elders must wonder what the hullabaloo is all about in this country.

How can the GB in the US have one policy, while having an enlightened policy in Great Britain? NOT ONE US BOE letter says ANYTHING about Romans 13 or any consideration of a moral obligation to report a charge of molestation. The first directive is always to call the Society's Legal Department.

The FIRST LINE of the Watch Tower of Great Britain letter starts by saying that protection of children is of paramount importance!!! Then Romans 13. They got it right! What happened in the United States? Didn't the policy originate from the Governing Body?

With all their legal problems the French branch must be in a tizzy. Imagine if it became public knowledge there that JWs have a child abuse policy that's about to be exposed via NBC Dateline and lawsuits. This is not just bad publicity, this is a nightmare.

Most of you are familiar with my style. I'm going to let this stew a bit and then we'll speak about the most effective publicity for this knowledge.

The prime policy I've seen from Brooklyn lately:
    COVER YOUR ASS

Well, I've got news: it's going to be exposed for all to see, in all its ugliness.

Maximus
    Wondering if the UK Branch listens more carefully to God than the Governing Body!

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Hi all,

Bill and Maximus, thanks for the information. I've just been to the site and started reading the letters...I didn't get past the first part of the second one and I apologize for going a little off topic here but I can't help myself. I quote from the second BOE letter:

It must be recognized that the time you can spend in helping an abuse victim is limited. Therefore, this shepherding responsibility must be balanced with your other responsibilities, which include caring for the spiritual, emotional, and material needs of your own family and assisting those in the congregation who have other problems. In some cases an incest survivor wants more attention than you can give. So some elders have found it beneficial to put boundaries, or some limits, on the time they spend.

This steams the hell out of me!!! They set themselves up as being QUALIFIED to help survivors of abuse; they direct the R&F to come to the elders for help as a 'safe haven'; THEN THEY SAY LIMIT THE AMOUNT OF HELP YOU GIVE A VICTIM!!!! Am I the only one who sees the irony here?? Particularly am I disgusted with the sentence about an incest survivor 'wanting more attention'...implying that the survivor is somehow wrong for needing a great amount of help. So easy from this letter for elders to justify their NON help and NON concern as reasonably setting limits. Jesus Christ, they disgust me. Now I know why I was treated the way that I was when I approached the elders for help. At first, they were very kind and loving...but after time progressed, I reckon they figured I needed a lesson in boundary setting; after all, I was just another incest survivor taking up too much of their time.

Thanks for the info guys and for letting me rant.

Dana

"I undid his head collar and took him outside for a drink, and felt, if not exactly a communion with him, at least an awareness of being a fellow creature on a lonely planet."

Dick Francis in "To The Hilt"

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Maximus:

Dana made a huge point here, I think:

they direct the R&F to come to the elders for help as a 'safe haven'; THEN THEY SAY LIMIT THE AMOUNT OF HELP YOU GIVE A VICTIM!!!!

The magazines frequently confirm the "safe haven" part of Dana's point. The BOE letter blatantly confirms the latter half. This is surely a very clear cut case of hypocrisy and doubletalk.

Is this an angle the Dateline people are following up on? I would love to see the WT pr people try and squirm out of this, when confronted with this letter made public.

Expatbrit

• Maximus
    Maximus

Would you like to read part of the letter sent to bodies of elders by Watch Tower of Great Britain? What do you think of this letter in contrast with the letters you are reading from the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, both under the one Governing Body in Brooklyn?

It is more than interesting to note that the British policy letter of 1992 is almost identical to the six-page US policy letter of July 1989. Except for one major issue. Herewith is the December 2000 policy letter that reiterates the policy enunciated NINE YEARS AGO. See if you can spot the difference.

WATCH TOWER
    BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF BRITAIN
    THE RIDGEWAY LONDON NW7 1RN
    TELEPHONE 020 8906 2211
    December 1, 2000

ALL BODIES OF ELDERS IN BRITAIN

Dear Brothers:

C O N F I D E N T I A L

We are writing by way of a reminder regarding the handling of matters that may involve legal issues or questions. Please do not make any copies of this letter, nor should it be read by others. It should be kept in the congregation’s confidential files for any future reference that may be required by the body of elders.

I. WHAT TO DO IN CERTAIN SPECFIC CASES
    A. Child Abuse

The protection of children is of the utmost importance to us. (Psalm 127:3, Matthew 18:4-6) Jehovah’s people in no way condone crimes such as child abuse or endeavor to shield those committing offenses of this nature. When elders receive reports of alleged physical or sexual abuse of a child, they should contact the Society’s Legal Department immediately. This is still the case even if the report is second or third hand. Victims of such abuse need to be protected from further danger, and others need to be protected from potential harm.—See Awake! October 8, 1993, page 5 "How Can We Protect Our Children?" and January 22, 1985, page 8 "If the Worst Should Happen".

As members of the community in which Caesar still acts as God’s minister and hence still has a certain authority, all in the Christian congregation will want to consider their personal and moral responsibility to alert the appropriate authorities in cases where a serious criminal offence of this type has been committed or there exists a risk that one may be committed. (See ks91, page 138.) It is natural that the Christian congregation finds such situations to be distressing. There is clearly a need to consider the principles of ‘paying back Caesar’s things to Caesar’ (Matthew 22:21) and those concerning the spiritual cleanness of the congregation, such as, 1 Corinthians 5: 11-13.

When an elder receives an allegation that a child has been abused the first essential is to listen. He should not interrupt until the complainant has finished but he may ask gentle, non-leading questions such as: "Is that everything?", or "Is there anything else you would like to tell me?" Do not ask probing or intimate questions. This is very important and has legal implications. However surprising the allegations, the elder should not indicate disbelief in any way. Nor should he express any criticism of the complainant. Elders are spiritual shepherds but are generally not qualified to evaluate the genuineness or the seriousness of an allegation of child abuse.

Company registered in England No 3858051 Charity Reg No 1077961
    Registered Office IBSA House The Ridgeway London NW7 1RN United Kingdom

Page Two
    The elder may express deep and sincere concern and offer Bible-based counsel in harmony with what has been published by the Society. His counsel should always include advising the complainant that the congregation cannot take over the God-given responsibility of the ‘superior authorities’ in dealing with crime. Accordingly, the complainant should consider his or her responsibility to report the matter to the authorities without delay. (Compare Romans 13:4, James 4:17) Such authorities might include the family doctor, the head teacher of the child’s school, the social services, the NSPCC, or the police. The elder should explain to the complainant that he himself might have a duty to report the matter to the proper authorities.

If the complainant is a child the elder might offer to accompany him or her to discuss the situation with a parent (but not the alleged abuser) or to one of the above authorities. A child should not be placed under pressure to take such action, and an elder should not be alone with a child who complains of abuse. At an initial disclosure elders should avoid making promises, but they may indicate that they will need to give the matter very serious and urgent consideration. In any event they should treat the matter as a priority so that the complainant does not get the impression that nothing is being done.

As soon as possible THEREAFTER [CAPS ARE FROM MAXIMUS] contact the Society’s Legal Department. The presiding overseer should also be informed, but do not arrange to speak with any other person. The elders should not lose sight of the fact that victims urgently need to be protected from further abuse and abusers need to be prevented from finding additional victims.

B. Judicial Action and Criminal Investigations

The secular authorities quite properly view it as their prerogative to examine criminal charges and to judge the matter. (Romans 13:1-4) Should congregation elders become involved in probing a matter that is under investigation they are in jeopardy of being seen as "obstructing the police" or "attempting to pervert the course of justice". In all cases where a brother or sister may have committed a criminal offense and that offense is also a violation of God’s laws necessitating the formation of a judicial committee, please contact the Society’s Legal Department immediately.

Applying these directions may result in a lengthy delay in dealing with a serious matter from the congregation’s standpoint. In such circumstances the congregation must be patient and wait on Jehovah, remembering that the secular authorities are acting as "God’s minister". (Romans 13:4) Likely it will be advisable for a brother who has been accused not to be used for assignments until the matter is resolved. A charge that is to be heard in Court has at least to a limited extent become a matter of public knowledge. The brother who has been charged, even if he is innocent will wish to cooperate in maintaining the good name of the Christian congregation. Of course, every case is different and it is not possible to make the rules to cover every situation.

When the time is ripe all documents will be published in scanned form, for everyone to see their authenticity. To answer Expatbrit's question, NBC Dateline is very much aware of the disparity he mentions.

Do you think Dateline will be comparing the British letter with what the Society's PR spokesman has stated to them about policy from the Governing Body?

It's show time.

Maximus

• Eusebius Hieronymus
  • voltaire
    voltaire

Maximus,

Thanks for keeping us up to date.The British BOE letters are incredible. While I'm relieved to see that not all the brothers are stark raving mad, I'm distressed to realize that it's not the ones ultimately in charge who had the good sense to develop such a sound policy. Maybe, just maybe, if brothers like those who formulated that policy in Britain were running the world wide operation, the organization would be a safer place for children. For now it appears the inmates are running the asylum.

• worf
    worf

Max,

I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO THESE EVENTS WITH "EAGER ANTICIPATION"
    HMMMM. DOES THAT EXPRESSION "EAGER ANTICIPATION" SOUND FAMILIAR?

worf

• Maximus
    Maximus

We'll have to start a new thread with a title more catchy.

Like SMOKING GUN.

How can the Governing Body countenance two policies? Elders in this country have relied on the Service Department as they would on God himself.

If the true Governing Body policy is the US policy, isn't the entire British Branch apostate?

What do you think? Who is apostate from Christian teaching here? Read that British letter carefully and compare it with the US policy.

Maximus

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Mommie Dark: "Giddy" is the word!!! I get giddy imagining late night talk-shows all over the US cracking jokes about JW's.

This is really panning out! I've been waiting for this for a whole year since Farkel first mentioned the "big thing" on old H2O. Thanks to people like Barbara Anderson, Bill Bowen, Maximus and I'm sure many others (especially all the silentlambs who are getting braver and braver).

I love it when people say, "Run Watchtower Run"

I say, "Sweat Watchtower Sweat!"

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Maximus: the letter says, the elders should advise "...the complainant that the congregation cannot take over the God-given responsibility of the ‘superior authorities’ in dealing with crime. Accordingly, the complainant should consider his or her responsibility to report the matter to the authorities without delay."

And then only AFTER this is done, they should contact the Legal Department. So they recognize the seriousness of the accusation of pedophilia and want swift action.

The thing I can't figure out is who originated the Brittish policy? Was the branch acting on its own initiative? Since I don't know the answer to this question, I am thinking the Brittish branch wanted legal contacted only *after* the "superior authorities" had been contacted so that legal couldn't impede this from being done. Which would show how adamant legal must have been NOT to contact the police, etc.

Or if the GB *really* is guilty of having two differing policies - and I don't understand what their motives would be for doing so. Why the preference for the Brittish children? What is it about the US that *allowed* them to sweep pedophilia under the rug? And you mentioned France. What is the policy in France? Is it the same as in Brittain? Or what about the rest of the world, for that matter?

Fifty gazillion questions keep running through my poor tired head. I am exhausted from work, insomnia and a medical condition I just found out I had. It's hard to keep up. But I get up sometimes at 2:00 AM, not being able to sleep to see if I've missed something.

Please continue to keep us informed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit