Brokeback mountain

by InquiryMan 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

i saw it yesterday with jo. our conclusion was that, yes, it's a sad movie. however, what i took out of it was that without the component of the homosexual relationship, the situation is very similar to so many people i know. there are plenty of people in marriages they don't want to be in, living lives that are basically a lie and for various reasons will never leave them.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Shelly, so true what you said. Also, the statement of the previous poster is truthul. Many stays for various reasons, whether it be economical reasons, for the children’s sake, for convenience, for status, for having a more stable life. Whatever - what they loose in this is themselves.

• DigitalFokus
    DigitalFokus

haven't seen it yet. Want to but haven't had the time.

One question on this. I have heard that it starts out with a pretty hardcore "ride em cowboy" scene, is that true?

sleepless

DF

• Dimples
    Dimples
    One question on this. I have heard that it starts out with a pretty hardcore "ride em cowboy" scene, is that true?

Well, you will just have to wait to you go and see the movie.

Dimples

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I honestly didn't think any of the sex scenes were "hardcore"...brief and just hinted at what was happening. In fact I am kinda surprised after seeing it the uproar some people have made about it. I can think of quite a few movies I found to be a lot more overt. If you're hoping for skinamax - this ain't even in the same ball field.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

I agree with you, it does not resemble hardcore at all. I think it was done tastefully, and if you’d image it was a man and woman in the same scenes, no one would even raise an eyebrow.

• joelbear
    joelbear

Brokeback Mountain was voted number 1 gay film of all time by viewers of logo online. number 2 was A Beautiful Thing. these two movies have a lot in common and i agree wholeheartedly with them being number 1 and 2 on the list. while the characters in brokeback are grown men they are still just facing their orientation. in BT the kids are regular teenagers who live in the projects in London. all 4 are just real people. homosexuality kinda snuck up on all of them as it does most homosexuals. all 4 fight it to some degree and all 4 accept it as part of themselves in the end. i would have chosen Maurice as number 3 on the list, i think it was like 14.

fair mind and those of his ilk are getting nastier because they are losing. rationality is winning, its a long slow hard road ahead. the key is education. in fact the key to all the world's problems is education. why don't government's spend more on education? uneducated people are more likely to believe everything they say.

rationality will win. we must not wait on schools to educate people, we must educate them ad hoc as best we can. all on issues.

coming out is an important form of education.

educating ourself about any situation will ensure that we react to it more rationally than emotionally.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

My wife and I saw it over a month ago with Ohiocowboy. We all thought it was a good movie on it's own merits, it was a great movie, because of the fact that it is the first gay movie that has gone mainstream. (That is indicative of a wide spread support and acceptance into society)

To me, the movie showed the danger of 'not being true to yourself' and 'not following your own path'...eventually, in order to be happy -- something has to change if you are on the wrong road.

Take the majority of us here as an excellent example of people who either knew they were 'on the wrong road' for a long time as JW's or something finally happened that woke us up.

What is the honorable thing to do ? For me, continuing to attend the KH, sing their songs, peddle their rags -- would have been the ultimate hypocrisy. I could not live that way.

As a parallel, there are many people in the world that are gay, who, because of social and legal pressures feel they MUST hide their true nature. So, they get married, maybe have children, too. Then -- years later they, either cannot live a lie any longer or get caught and their marriage ends. Now they and their families and children must deal with a hurtful situation...right ?

There are several gay xjw's here on this board that that has happened to already. If a person truly has a, ahem..'fairmind' they ought to educate themselves, as I did, by talking to those folks.

Was there cheating going on in this movie ? OMG ! Is it rare to see or even know of such a thing in a movie ? Or more importantly -- real life ? Over 1/2 of all marriages end in divorce, only a small % could possibly have a gay factor in those failures.

So, why the 'righteous indignation' "I won't see that movie, because, I heard they cheated on their wives?"

Do you avoid reading the Bible, because of the cheating, killin', incest by God's servant Lot, mass murder by the Israelites -- and their 'God of Love ?'

As long as a person is not hurting me or people I care about, I cannot see how a persons sexuality is any of my business.

If you haven't seen it, it's your loss. If you haven't seen it -- and criticize something you haven't seen and don't even understand -- you are a hypocrite. In my humble opinion, of course.

Rabbit

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Rabbit you are a sweetheart. Very well said. I'm one of those that tried to be anything else.

Sherry

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

So was I, and I tried so hard...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit