What do you swear on?

by Gretchen956 14 Replies latest jw friends

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

:: I swear on a stack of bibles. For convenience, I usually use a short stack, consisting of three. When I'm hungry for some big swearing, I up it to five. Syrup is a must.

LOL

• gumby
    gumby

When I was a dub I used to "swear to Jehovah" when I wanted to REALLY convince another dub I was tellin the truth. If you swore to Jehovah....you was pretty convincing!

Gumby

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Was it only me or was it sort of like that name was some sort of talisman? I mean even the name was supposed to be powerful and if you uttered it you better mean it. Yeesh I'm so glad to be done with the whole mess.

Sherry

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

::Was it only me or was it sort of like that name was some sort of talisman? I mean even the name was supposed to be powerful and if you uttered it you better mean it. Yeesh I'm so glad to be done with the whole mess.

LOL yeah I remember knowing someone was lying while swearing to Jehovah, and being utterly mortified. Oh the horror!

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

"I swear to you, then," said MacIan, after a pause. "I swear to you that nothing shall come between us. I swear to you that nothing shall be in my heart or in my head till our swords clash together. I swear it by the God you have denied, by the Blessed Lady you have blasphemed; I swear it by the seven swords in her heart. I swear it by the Holy Island where my fathers are, by the honour of my mother, by the secret of my people, and by the chalice of the Blood of God."

The atheist drew up his head. "And I," he said, "give my word."

- from The Ball and The Cross by G. K. Chesterton

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit