What do you swear on?

by Gretchen956 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I was watching a tv program where someone was swearing an oath to tell the truth and nothing but the truth, their hand on the bible. Now I know that there are a lot of christians here, and that wouldn't be a problem for them. But what about the rest of you? I wondered out loud if it was worth making a fuss over, but in reality swearing on that book means absolutely nothing to me and could be easily switched for Grimms Fairy Tales, and for those that know me, they might see the irony in that.

For those that are Muslim, do they swear on the Koran? Jewish folk their holy scripture? What do athiests swear on? Has this ever come up for anyone? For that matter, do JWs switch out the bible for the NWT? I know way back in the day they refused to swear an oath, but I think that went the way of "new light" or some such thing.

Sherry (see what happens when I can't sleep??!!)

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

I used to swear on my car, when it was new, but now its old, ... I swear at it !

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Morning Sherry!

It's never come up for me, I suppose if I had to testify in court I'd let it be known that the bible has no meaning for me. If they still asked me to swear on it I would, hell I'd swear on a Big Mac or a copy of the Watchtower! The point is, if I promised to tell the truth - I would, no matter what my left hand happend to be resting on at the time.

Nic'

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Oh I swear at peeps that cut me off in traffic too but you are changing the subject!

Sherry

• Mackin
    Mackin

I recently served on a jury and everyone was given the option to swear on a bible or make an affirmation to tell the truth yada yada yada, which didn't involve God or any other mythical supernatural being. I made the affrimation.

Mackin.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Thanks, Mackin, I'm not sure if they do that here in the States. I'm still curious.

Sherry

• Elsewhere
  • Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Elsewhere you are such a goof!

Sherry

• rocketman
    rocketman

I swear on a stack of bibles. For convenience, I usually use a short stack, consisting of three. When I'm hungry for some big swearing, I up it to five. Syrup is a must.

Pancake Class

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturdays only.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit