Ctrl, Alt, Delete.....

by bikerchic 22 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

I used to wish that my parents had never met and married. Of course, that meant I would never have been born.......... What a way to get out of the abuse I grew up in. Now I would just wish that I had loving, non-JW parents.

Blondie

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I'd use "control-alt-delete" on the WTS. That'd solve ALL my problems in that area. (wriggles eyebrows)

• luna2
    luna2

My do-overs are a mix of JW-related stuff and just regular life stuff.

I wish I could have been more focused on school, college, and finding myself a career instead of boys and dating in highschool. That wasn't so much of a one-time decision but a pattern of behavior and thinking that I'd like to have changed.

The JW moments are very clear. I could have told the sis at the door that I wasn't interested right off the bat, not started a study, and then not given up so easily on my return to college when finances got tough (I quit school without a second thought when money got tight because I figured the end was coming soon so it was a "waste" of time and money anyway). The second JW moment I had was when I resumed studying after a several month hiatus. I'd stopped studying because my husband (who I was separated from) was making noises that he wanted to reconcile on his bi-monthly weekend visits to see the kids, and he was completely creeped out by the JW's. Turned out he was just playing me...it was a way to get sex. Sunday afternoons, when he'd be packing up the car to go back to Ft. Knox, all talk of repairing our marriage would stop. Took me a month or two to finally figure this out...dumb, dumb, dumb. Anyhow, I almost said no to re-starting the study but then decided to give it another shot. I wish I'd gone with my first instinct instead of deciding that becoming a JW was a good way to find direction after the failure of my marriage.

• greendawn
    greendawn

BC,so that means that because of the sexual revolution in the mid 1960's the JWs in the USA pushed immature persons towards marriage to "protect" them from "immorality"? That seems to have been a disastrous policy.

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

Got married young, you know the scripture: better to marry than be inflamed with passion. So marriage it was. If I had it to do all over I would of at least waited a few more years till I was more stable both mentally and financially.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

:: I wish I could have been more focused on school, college, and finding myself a career

Did you even have the choice? I know when I was growing up, college was frowned upon and in my family focus was placed on making sure you would make a "good" wife for your husband. I would have loved to have been encouraged to pursue an education while still a kid, instead of still trying to complete my education now.

• luna2
    luna2
    Did you even have the choice?

Its complicated. My parents didn't have a lot of money, so I got mixed messages. They recognized the value of an education...but not so much for girls. They wouldn't have denied me if I'd strongly pushed to go to a four year school, but they were much happier that I chose to go to a jr. college and live at home. I definitly felt the money pressure and thought I was being a "good" daughter by choosing the more frugal option.

Jr. College felt like an extension of high school, though...I had a hard time taking it seriously. I was also working a fulltime job while trying to carry fulltime credits. Then I got married and pregnant right away. I'm not sure what in the world I was thinking.

• serendipity
    serendipity

I wished I had been a bit more adventurous when young, and willing to make 'worldly' friends. I would have had more fun.

I passed on an opportunity to move to California, because I wanted to stay close to my extended JW family, thinking we were such a close-knit family. I found out how close knit over the years, and especially after I became a single parent. They were SO HELPFUL (insert sarcasm icon here). I'm ready to disown them.

The good thing about not moving was that I got involved with a man who became the father of my child. Being a mom has definitely been the highlight of my life so far.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

:: I definitly felt the money pressure and thought I was being a "good" daughter by choosing the more frugal option.

That says alot about you. You seem like a very thoughtful person.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Wow great replies, thanks everyone. I feel I'm not alone in wanting to just go back to a simpler time. I long for the days of my youth, maybe it's just because I'm getting older and see all the mistakes I've made.

Silly me, hard as I've tried I haven't learned a thing........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit