Need your opinion on JW teaching

by DevonMcBride 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• unique2u
    unique2u

Two Witness Rule- How many innocent children or adults have been hurt by that?

Dangerous Mentally and Physically..

• garybuss
    garybuss

For a new group, I hit 1 - Dishonest recruiting practices, 2 - shunning, 3 - blood medical treatment contradictions.

Warn em, scare em, shock em.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

slugga,

I think this site should have a "Disfellowshipped" section where the newly disfellowshiped could come, post, even if its just to say "hi" and find out that they are NOT going to be judged and shunned by the rest of us.

Yes, but it would have to be made WAY obvious.

A special section for the disfellowshipped would immediately raise the assumption that disfellowshipped people are to be sequestered here - unless the section were called something like: "Disfellowshipped Brothers - Intro and WELCOME!"

GentlyFeral

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Devon, I am envious of your opportunity.

Why not focus on the extreme nature of their views . 1] The teaching that all non JWs will be slaughtered at Armageddon? perhaps use the Dec. 1st 2005 WT that likened opposers to "pests to be exterminated" 2] That the Governing Body are to be obeyed as God's appointed representative. 3] That obedience to the Government and state is secondary to obedience to Jehovah and his representative organization.4} that all other religions are derided as being illustrated by the drunken harlot in Revelation, thus being hated as opposers to God.

Throw in some juicy misquotes from the "Creation" book and other publications , their controlling attitude from the top and I think you have got a captive audience.

Have fun!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Shunning and blood. These are the two areas that have an extremely negative affect on peoples lives and invariably shocks people. No one I have talked to about my d/f experience will ever become a JW. If you have been affected personally people will be riveted by your story.

At http://jwfacts.com/index_files/disfellowship.htm there is a very detailed article on d/f, included virtually all the reasons you can be, the scriptures that refer to it and why the WTS is wrong in the way it practices it.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Not just that the teach and enforce shunning, but that they teach that shunning is the LOVING thing to do to DF family members and friends .

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    What would you consider to be the one most outrageous teachings of the Watchtower you would chose?

After the blood transfusion policy, what would you consider to be the next most dangerous teaching?

LOL, Devon! I think that second would be that the Gov. Haughty is "the only channel between God and mankind." The reason for my choice is because those that follow their teachings base their BELIEFS on this premise and when told not to report child molesters/rapists to the police, they believe they've been handed this edict from on high. It also influences their members beliefs about anything they even hint at in their publications, allowing them to do immeasurable harm in many areas to families, as well as individuals. Like......the scream/don't scream edict, the 2-witness rule which is ludicrous, considering that rapists/molesters normally don't allow an audience. It just naturally follows that ALL their doctrines and practices, whether published or just passed along by word of mouth, are considered by their followers to be sacred edicts.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I think it depends on what kind of group you're talking to.

Some people would be totally outraged by the shunning policy. Others, the aspect that they teach the FDS aka GB are God's only Channel of Communication and thus all followers must accept whatever teachings coming from this group of imperfect, egotistical men is God's truth.

Good Luck and Keep us posted as to how it goes Devon!

meagan

• Clam
    Clam

Swan is right. You should always play to your audience. The blood and the shunning issues do it for me, but it depends who you're talking to. If they were all women for instance then they may like to know how the WTS views women and "their place". In 2006, misogyny can go down like a broken lift.

Good luck with it. You have a valuable opportunity.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Hey, thanks for all of your great ideas. I decided that there is no way to pick one or two topics only so I'm going to pick a few more and spend less time on each one but still get to the point

Devon, I am envious of your opportunity.

It's an opportunity that anyone who is an "out of the closet" apostate can do. I volunteered to give this talk at a senior citizens community center. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit