Need your opinion on JW teaching

by DevonMcBride 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• jgnat
    jgnat

I like Gary's outline. It hits all the high notes for an outsider. I heard a speaker once, for impact, had the entire congregation rise. He then asked people to sit down who say, were wearing jeans that morning, women in pants, men with untrimmed hair or beards, and so on and so on. After everyone was seated the speaker explained that NONE of them would be considered acceptable in a JW congregation.

You could then go on to talk about outward cleanness, how important it is to JW's and maybe tie in the scripture about vases clean on the outside. If you know what I mean. If you could help them understand that underneath the cult-talk there's a scared human being, they might start to develop some compassion for the life of the JW.

• Generic Man
    Generic Man

There should be a mention of the society's commitment to 1914 being the beginning of the gentile times, and their commitment to 607 as the date of Jerusalem's destruction. I read a really good argument against 607 and it goes like this:

According to both secular historians and the Society, 521 was date when Darius 1 ascended the throne (see the Society's Pay Attention to Daniel's Prophecy). If you read Zechariah 7:1-5, you will see that it takes place in the fourth year of King Darius, which was 517, and it has been 70 years since the destruction of Jerusalem. If 517 was 70 years since the destruction of Jerusalem, then it was 587 that was when Jersalem was destroyed, not 607. Keep in mind that 586/587 is the time period that all historians agree on.

A Witness would have a hard time figuring out how the society is committed to a date that contradicts both historical and scriptural evidence, unless they figure out that evidence has nothing to do with their commitment in the first place. The real reason for their commitment is their belief that 1914 is relevant to biblical prophecy. In order to prove that 1914 is the beginning of the Gentile times, they'd have to fabricate historial chronology to fit their speculation.

wish you well and hope this helps,

G-Man

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit