Witness and Food Stamp Scam

by MissBehave 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Welcome, MisBehave!

We had several families living in the projects who went to the Hall. They used to give away their extra welfare cheese and beans and rice to the "friends" and to my parents, who studied with them. Seemed dishonest not to give back what they didn't need. I'm lucky, like you. I was born in, have faded, but never been shunned by my folks. I used to pray I'd be spared for living the best life I could. Now, I do that because it's the right thing to do, not because I believe God's coming to kill everybody who doesn't go to the Hall.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Hello and welcome!

I have seen both ends of the JW scale---from the sincere JW who would work all night and then drive for hours to attend an assembly---and then go home and work that evening....never asking a for handout of any kind.

Then I have seen the type of JW that knocks themselves out to find anything "free" like food vouchers and food giveaways when they are announced in the newspaper at the local (GASP) "evil" Catholic Charities they sneer at.

They like to claim they are "above" every other religion, but are just the same in every respect---check that---worse than every other religion that they look down their noses at.

Make no mistake. Greed and taking advantage of others on any level is despicable, and the JWs are at the top of the line on this one.

• ferret
    ferret

WELCOME MisBehave. hope you enjoy and post often

• greendawn
    greendawn

Welcome to the forum, this behaviour is interesting because it typifies that of the WTS as an organisation and their intention to deceive by appearing to be humble, self denying, and altruistic whereas they are out to exploit their members.

• Honesty
    Honesty

People generally take on the same attitudes as their mentors.

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society has mentored to many people who have rejected their former way of life (many of the JW's were recruited out of christendom with its many charities and member donation drives to fund those charities from within their own ranks) and now enjoy living under the guiding hand of this rip-off cult.

• Cellist
    Cellist

Welcome to the board, MissBehave.

We've observed a few JWs displaying similar behaviour. Definitely no better than the world around them. I guess they would actually be worse, because they claim to be better.

Cellist

• blondie
    blondie

The thing that bothered me was I saw regular pioneers that chose to work part-time and made less money, take food stamps and government "cheese" although they were able to support themselves. It was as if the government underwrote their "preaching." I always refused to do that.

Also, I know of JWs that deliberately keep their income just below the poverty line to qualify for assistance and medical care and recommend that other JWs do the same.

I never heard of someone being DF'd for defrauding the government.

I knew a brother who was on disability and went to all the quick builds and did the same things he told the government he was not physically able to do for employment. The RBC did stop using him after they found that out though.

Blondie

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

Welcome to the board, MisBehave!
    I hope you learn as much here as I have!

CountryGuy

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Also, I know of JWs that deliberately keep their income just below the poverty line to qualify for assistance and medical care and recommend that other JWs do the same.

Yup---I knew of some just like this. One of those "things" that JWs do that you know in your gut isn't quite above-board, but not quite dishonest either. Seems to go hand-in-hand, huh?

I never heard of someone being DF'd for defrauding the government

Nope...neither have I....

Annie......going down the yellow brick road tonight.....

• Legolas
    Legolas

Welcome to the board!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit